Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV IL2 Has anyone gone thru this clinic trial

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LucyG
    Participant

On Dec 10, I begin a clinical trial for stage IV Melanoma. Has anyone been thru this process? Wondering on what I will feel like after the first week. I stay in the hospital for 5 days and return home for 9 days and return to the hospital for another 5 days. Sounds like a tough program. I have had 4 melanoma surgeries, the first one was in 1971, I had 3 surgeries this year, starting in April and the last one in July, chest, right lung and a head surgery.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Hi Lucy,

Is this a clinical trial? Or just IL2 treatment? Il2 is an older therapy with about a 6% response rate. For some it works really well, but it is very toxic and requires a stay in the intensive care unit. Let us know where you are going for treatment and what the trial is studying.

LucyG
    Participant

Hi Catherine,

My name is Sharon, I use my little JRT dogs name (Lucy). Anyway,yes this is a week long stay at UVA for 6 days, beginning on Dec 10, 2012. I do understand it is a Rough week, but the stats sound good ( if it works). I stay home for 9 days, and go back for another 6 days. Not the best for Christmas week, but the Melanoma is in my spleen now and I need to do something soon. Dr Geoffrey Weiss is the Doctor who is ordering this treatment, he seems to think I should go this route. They keep 5 people in the hospital, and Dec 10 was the first time I could get in, so he is using this on many people. I am 58 years old, and am on LTD from my job since April 2012. I am lucky that my husband retired to take care of me, and my brother is staying with us, as he retired too, to help me with our 92 year old Dad, who has Alzheimer’s, but lives on his own (with 24 hour care). I took Zelboraf, which wasn’t good for me, and the Melanoma appeared during me taking the Zelboraf. I am not taking anything right now, other than pain meds (if needed). But feel pretty good after the 3 surgeries I have had in the past 4 months, and Bells Palsy, I am finally getting over. Thank you for responding. Sharon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.