Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Immunotherapy & Steroids

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #20571
    marta010
    Participant

    Hi – my husband was scheduled for IL-2 treatment soon but has experienced recent brain edema from earlier gamma knife treatment. Since he is taking steroids to reduce the brain inflamation, his dr. has postponed the IL2 treatment and will re-evaluate in 3 months. Given the steroid use, I don’t know if IL-2 is even an option going forward. Dr. also mentioned that ipi may be the preferred alternative as steriods are less of an issue with this treatment. Any comments or experience with these issues will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Ann

    #56120
    bettin
    Participant

    Hi Ann,

    you’ll find a lot of useful information on the different therapies on Melanoma under ‘webinars’ on this forum. It is a lot of information but I think any minute you spend on there is worth investing as it gives you a better idea about what your choices are.

    IL-2 is a very harsh treatment and not one of the latest, you might want to search this forum for it to get an idea what people are describing…

    Alternatively, there is Ipi or PD1 though slots in trials for the latter are hard to come by. Has your husband’s tumor been tested for the BRAF status?

    In any case I would make sure that he is seen by a Melanoma specialist in a Melanoma center as soon as possible- you will never get that number of therapy options anywhere else and please don’t wait 3 months!

    Wishing you all the best,

    Bettina

    #56121
    marta010
    Participant

    Thank you, Bettina. My husband is BRAF + and is currently taking Zelboraf and just fininshed radiation treatment on what remained of the lymph node tumors. He had a brain met treated with gamma knife in April and is being treated by Dr. Dudek at the Masonic Cancer Center in Minneapolis. The proposed IL2 treatment was the next step in his treatment plan but we have been waylaid with the brain edema issue and steroids. It seems that the steroids may exclude IL2 as a future treatment potential.

    #56122
    Cecelia
    Participant

    Hi, Ann. My partner Margaret had a brain met that was initially treated with STR. That worked well for about a year, but then it grew back in the same spot. She then did a round of ipi, and the new growth responded well–so well that no new radiation is necesssary. Mixed result, however, since there is still a met evident–we are waiting for new mri next week in the hopes that second round of ipi will have reduced that as well. In any case, ipi allowed us to avoid WBRT for a while longer. She starts Zelboraf on Monday as well.

    #56123
    NYKaren
    Participant

    Hi Ann,

    The Ipi literature says that steroid use must be less than 7.5mg/day. I don’t know how lenient doctors are allowed to be with that, i.e. if they still go ahead w/ipi if, say, you’re on 10mg.

    hope this helps,

    karen

    #56124
    marta010
    Participant

    Thanks for your comments. He is being weened off the steroids over the next week or so. Hopefully, the MRI scheduled for next Monday will show significant reduction or elimination of the edema and continued steroids will be unnecessary. My concern is that the steroid use will eliminate potential treatment options – we have so few to work with as it is! Thanks again.

    Ann

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.