• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    marjie
    Participant

I’m not sure if it is appropriate to post an in situ question under Stage 1, but will try it:

Could you interpret this from my husband’s original shave biopsy pathology report in February:

My husband is 72 and has some cognition issues, and he hasn’t asked many questions of his doctor about this. It has taken some time, but I was able to go with him today to the dermatologist and got a copy of the original pathology report. I realize there is probably nothing much to be concerned about, but since he is older and has a long history of other skin cancers, including some large sqamous, I just want to have a sense of this:

Malignant Melanoma in situ on left posterior shoulder. Reviewed by dermapathologists. 2.0 x 1.5 x 0.1 cm. (Which is the depth, and is this the size of the melanoma or the size of the shave biopsy?) More: Poorly defined lateral margins and comprised of atypical melanocytes throughout all levels of the epidermis.

(Later, after the WLE in March, the plastic surgeon told him the biopsy report had said they had missed 1 cell but nothing further was done.) From reading, I see that some people don’t consider in situ as melanoma, but the plastic surgeon said to my husband: You do understand this is cancer, right?

Thanks –

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Yes, in situ melanoma is melanoma. So a proper re-excision is necessary. It is fortunate to find this so early in growth and will be doubtful to create any future problems. I hope this answers your question.

marjie
    Participant

Thanks, Catherine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.