Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Insurance and Cyberknife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    msue5
    Participant

Our insurance was changed on Jan 1. Previously we have had great benefits but the provider changed and so did the benefits. I am starting Cyberknife tomorrow and found out today that Anthem Bc/Bs does not cover Cyberknife to the body,only the brain. The good news is since I had the simulation scans before Jan 1 it is considered continuum of care. I got a call today from Mail order Pharmacy about Zelboraf. Will cost me only $16. My call included an interview with the pharmacist who was very helpful. It will arrive tomorrow. I have to pay $1000 out of pocket for Cyberknife. I can pay this but what about people who can’t. So ready for some big changes to Health care. We have seen some good changes but there is still a lot of work to be done.

Mary Sue

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

With your doctor’s help, appeal this decision by the insurance company. That should help.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Mary Sue,

Good Luck with the cyberknife tomorrow. I’ll be praying that everything goes well.

I know what you mean about the costs of some of these things. I had to be on the shots right after I had my bloodclots until my level came up high enough to just be on the warfarin. They were over $200 a week. I had to take them for 3 weeks. That was over $600. That was with a good insurance perscription coverage.

What do people do that are on a fixed income? Go without? Yes we do still have a long way to go. Very sad when people have to decide what is more important. Medication or food on the table.

Shirley Z

msue5
    Participant

Had my first Cyberknife today. I actually fell asleep. When I told the Rad Onc about insurance not covering Cyberknife to the body he said “Oh they will cover it after they get a call from me! He assured me if I needed it again he will take care of it. Guess he has run into this before. He is a big guy with a great sense of humor and put me and my husband at ease right away.He warned me side effects(esophagitis and fatigue) will set in by the third treatment since the doses are highly concentrated and very potent. Zelbobraf was at my door when we got home. It was ordered only yesterday. I stared at the bottle for an hour before I actually opened it. The pills are huge and swallowing them might be a problem when esophagitis sets in. They can not be crushed. Will cross that bridge when I get to it. They gave me a bottle of liquid lidocaine to use for the pain and also increased my pain medicines.Next Cyberknife will be Fri then Mon Wed Fri next week. Hope everyone is doing well and will update soon

Mary Sue

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Mary Sue,

Glad the first cyberknife went well. I hope you will have the same radiation onc through the entire process. It makes things so much easier when you have someone with a sense of humor that makes you feel comfortable.

I think about you every day and all that you have had to endure. You are such a strong person.

Take good care of yourself and get plenty of rest. Keep us posted.

Shirley Z

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.