Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV IPI vs. NIVO Trial opening in March first in Europe!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Although not officially listed on clinicaltrials.gov, I received word this trial will open FIRST in Europe! Belgium will be the first sites, then U.S. and 25 other countries. I will post the locations when I get the details. I think this will be an interesting trial for treatment naïve patients to enter. And the results even more interesting.

Thomvdv
    Participant

waaauw! have to be treatment negative though???

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Yes,no prior IPI/PD1, but probably will allow prior BRAF. Don’t hold me to that until they get it up on Clinicaltrials.gov though. I’ve reached out to the docs I think will be involved to get more information too.

Thomvdv
    Participant

oh thank! good news!!

but still, our onc thinks this combo is waaaaay too toxic and they still not pretty sure ‘what we are doing there’..

Thomvdv
    Participant

(i shared it on a European Melanoma board because a lot of people were asking about this combo)

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

It will be randomized but I’m really interested to see PD1 and IPI up against each other. I belong to that European board, no problem!

Thomvdv
    Participant

aaaah VERSUS eachother…

Thomvdv
    Participant

is it trail CA209-238?

–> it’s for patients who have been operated, i believe, and they are been followed for a year on ipi or on nivo

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I did hear from UZ Brussel and they said: This trial will be initiated on the 12th of march at the UZ Brussel.

“We are happy to assist any patient who is looking for access to this trial.” Contact:

Sofie Wilgenhof MD

Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Therapy Department of Physiology and Immunology Medical School of the Free University Brussels (VUB) Laarbeeklaan 103/E228

1090 Brussel

Tel : 02/477.45.65

Fax : 02/477.45.68

Sofie.Wilgenhof@vub.ac.be

Medische Oncologie

Oncologisch Centrum

Laarbeeklaan 101

1090 Brussels, Belgium

http://www.uzbrussel.be

Thomvdv
    Participant

if it is that trail i mentioned, is it adjuvant?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I don’t have the NCT number yet, but it is for treatment naive patients. Here is some of the language for it sent by the doctor, looks like braf therapy ok, but no prior interferon! It is an adjuvant trial for NED patients.

Here is the description:

Study Population: High risk, completed resected Stage IIIb/c and IV melanoma.

Key Inclusion Criteria:

•At least 15 years of age

•All subjects must be either Stage IIIb/c or Stage IV AJCC (7th edition) and have histologically confirmed

melanoma that is completely surgically resected in order to be eligible. Subjects must have been surgically

rendered free of disease with negative margins on resected specimens.

•If Stage III melanoma (whether Stage IIIb or IIIc) the subjects must have clinically palpable lymph nodes that

are confirmed as malignant on the pathology report and /or ulcerated primary lesions. The pathology report of

the lymph nodes must be reviewed and approved by the sponsor prior to randomization.

•Complete resection of Stage IIIb/c lymph nodes or of metastatic disease with margins negative for disease must

be documented on the pathology report.

•Complete resection must be performed within 12 weeks prior to randomization

•All patients must have disease-free status documented by a complete physical examination and imaging studies

within 4 weeks prior to randomization. Imaging studies (CT) must include neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis and all

known sites of disease and brain MRI or CT (if MRI is contraindicated).

•Tumor tissue from the resected site of disease must be provided for biomarker analyses. In order to be

randomized, a subject must have a PD-L1 expression classification (positive, negative/or indeterminate).

Key Exclusion Criteria:

•Ocular/uveal melanoma

•Subjects with active, known, or suspected autoimmune disease. Subjects with type I diabetes mellitus, residual

hypothyroidism due to autoimmune thyroiditis only requiring hormone replacement, skin disorders (such as

vitiligo, psoriasis, or alopecia) not requiring systemic treatment are permitted to enroll.

•Subjects with previous malignancies are excluded unless a complete remission was achieved at least 3 years

prior to study entry and no additional therapy is required or anticipated to be required during the study period

(exceptions include but are not limited to, non-melanoma skin cancers; in situ bladder cancer, in situ gastric, or

in situ colon cancers; cervical cancers/dysplasia; or breast carcinoma in situ)

•Subjects with a condition requiring systemic treatment with either corticosteroids (> 10 mg daily prednisone

equivalent) or other immunosuppressive medications within 14 days of randomization. Inhaled or topical

steroids, and adrenal replacement steroid doses > 10 mg daily prednisone equivalent, are permitted in the

absence of active autoimmune disease.

•Prior therapy for melanoma except surgery for the melanoma lesion(s) and except adjuvant RT after

neurosurgical resection for CNS lesions. Specifically subjects who received prior therapy with interferon, anti-

PD-1, anti-PD-L1, anti-PD-L2, anti-CD137, or anti-CTLA-4 antibody (including ipilimumab or any other

antibody or drug specifically targeting T cell co-stimulation or checkpoint pathways) are not eligible.

bettin
    Participant

This is an adjuvant trial for patients who are NED after surgery and the trial needs to be started within 12 weeks after surgery, so the time-window is very narrow.

As for prior BRAF therapy, that would be a patient taking BRAFis, having massive shrinkage, surgery to remove the reminding tumours to be NED and then enter this trial- not sure how many patients will fit that bill.

So it’s not a way to get PD1 first-line for stage IV patients with inoperable tumour burden.

Best,

Bettina

Jupke
    Participant

So this will be a trial to determine if adjuvant therapy following surgery will show some survival benefit between Ipilimumab and Nivolumab in comparison.

I guess this also will we be compared with surgery only.

Is this how I should understand it?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Basically it is for newly diagnosed patients, who have completed surgery to remove their primary lesion and/or tumors/positive nodes. It is to see which drug, head to head, IPI/PD1 works best in this adjuvant setting for stage IV. I am not as enthused as I was initially because as Bettina points out this may be a small subset of patients. However, I do feel it is first line therapy for those who are newly diagnosed. It may also settle the efficacy of the two agents although most of know which is better and has less side effects for the most part is the PD1.

Jupke
    Participant

Given the explicit request for tumor tissue I wouldn’t be surprised this is also – if not all – about identifying potential markers or precursors to predict therapeutic efficacy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.