Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV It has been awhile….thank you

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DawnMarie
    Participant

Pati, Jonathan, Shirley, Catherine……it is so nice to see you all here. I have followed you all and was active on this site about two years ago. My daughter Becca who was diagnosed at age eight with melanoma was the reason I came to this site and found many things. Advice, support, and hope among a few. I don’t visit this site often, so I was so happy to see some familiar names (Pati and those who responded to her…Jonathan, Shirley and Catherine) when I decided to just check in. Unfortunately, Becca did pass at age 10 from the melanoma on May 5, 2011. Her spirit lives on in all of us. Thank you all for what you gave me when I needed it in caring for my daughter. You will never know how much I relied on all of your information that you shared. Thank You. I wish you all the best. Dawn

pati
    Participant

Oh my, I remember your posts….cannot even begin to imagine what this has meant and means for you, I have a 6 and 11 year old, I guess from the mummy perspective I just try to think each second is a precious moment to be a mum because they will not have me later. I have been reading a lot of Kubler Ross and death and dying trying, among others to understand what that “voyage” might represents for me and loved ones, the dialogues she had as a doctor with people who are ill or dying are just amazing. The most humbling stories are of course children because the see it as it is…their eyes still pure from so much. Thanks for you post, really touches me to feel this precious connection to you and your daughter and loved ones. We are all one in the end right?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

DawnMarie,

Thank you for touching our hearts with your journey. I’ve always been thankful we have so few children with melanoma, but when we do it seems so much harder. But at any age, it is tragic. We are all one from conception to the end as humanity, as Pati says and I wish there wasn’t so much division in our world and we’d get our priorities straight. I think this happens with serious illness, getting priorities straight. But my heart goes out to you as you heal from your loss and many others here feel the same.

cohanja
    Participant

Almost 5 years ago (in January will be 5 years), my wife and I lost our infant daughter. Losing a child is unlike any other kind of loss, and we’ve been part of a bereaved parent support group since then. We’ve become very close to the other grieving parents, who lost children of all ages to accidents, illness, suicide, etc… I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I would never say to anyone that “I feel your pain” or that “I know what you’re going through” because only you feel your pain and only you know what you’re experiencing. But, I do want to say that I know how lonely and isolated one can feel when going through something like this. We live in a very death-denying culture, especially when it comes to losing a child. It’s very hard for people to acknowledge your loss or talk to you about that subject. It’s not that they are trying to be hurtful, it’s just a very hard thing for our society to know how to talk about. A simple “I’m sorry” is enough. But, of course, you get some stupid things people say. I don’t think people are trying to be hurtful, they just don’t know what to say. Again, I’m sorry for your loss, losing a child is a “club” nobody wants to join.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Dawn,

I am so sorry to learn about the loss of your precious little girl. Its something that no parent ever expects to experience. We grieve the losses of grandparents, parents, relatives and friends as we age. An innocent child is somethng we never conceive possible. My heart aches for you.

I truly believe that you will reunite again someday. Until then, her presence will be with you in all the wonderful memories you shared with her. I personally believe in guardian angels and now you have a beautiful little angel that is always with you.

My sincere condolences to you and your family. Wishing you peace.

Shirley Z

cohanja
    Participant
    Anonymous

Thank you for posting the link. It is a process that continues to continue. We have Spirit and we are also painfully human so it’s comforting to know we can and do get slowly through our losses.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.