Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Just diagnosed…please help with pathology report.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

“I didn’t have to give you that pathology report, I did so as a courtesy”

That doesn’t even sound right. Legally if you request a copy of your own medical records, I believe they do have to give it to you.

goldengirl2011
    Participant

Good for you to fire your doctor. I have always received a copy of my pathology report (and have never had to ask for it). Sounds like she had a real attitude! Good luck with the WLE!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

wow, who is paying whom? I like that they call the Candian docs consultants. That is what they are, paid consultants. And it is your body and your medical records. I would turn her into the local derm/physicians board. Good for you to fire her! Try going to AAD.org and put in your zipcode for other derms in your area. Don’t go to those who specialize in cosmetics..let us know how you are doing.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Quote:

“I can’t teach medical school in this hallway” and “I didn’t have to give you that pathology report, I did so as a courtesy, not to be pinned down with a bunch of questions.”

That’s outrageous. I would have read this doc the riot act.

spschultz
    Participant

wpatterson4 wrote:

Quote:

“I can’t teach medical school in this hallway” and “I didn’t have to give you that pathology report, I did so as a courtesy, not to be pinned down with a bunch of questions.”

That’s outrageous. I would have read this doc the riot act.

And I should have, but it was right after she broke the diagnosis to me and frankly I was still in a bit of shock. I wasn’t prepared to verbally spar with anyone. My anger built over the next day or two. Just glad to be rid of her now…

cohanja
    Participant

Is this the same dermatologist that suggested having the biopsy on your left forearm when you were there for something unrelated? If so, even though her personality, bedside manner, attitude, etc. . seem rough around the edges, keep in mind she probably saved your life. My derm that biopsied my lesion (which my PCP had no concern with the week before) also was sort of a crabby guy, but he potentially saved my life (hopefully) so to me that is more important than his personality.

spschultz
    Participant

Cohanja, you make an excellent point, but the answer to your question is no, it was not the same dermatologist. I was seeing a PA for something called Oral Lichen Planus, an auto-immune disorder. At two consectutive appointments, her nurse asked me about the mole on my arm while taking my blood pressure. I blew her off with “it’s been there forever” and such. By my third appointment she was kinda in my head. So I brought it to the attention of the PA, who referred me to a dermatologist, and that was that. Incidentally, I went by the clinic where that nurse works yesterday and told her that another 5 years could have gone by and I never would have asked anyone to look at that mole had she not been persistent about it, and I told her to go right on pestering patients about getting suspicious moles checked. She may indeed have saved my life.

spschultz
    Participant

All…the waiting for the WLE is killing me. My appointment is this Tuesday. In the meantime, my left arm (site of the mole) hurts at the wrist and elbow, I can’t sleep, can’t eat, and now my legs are weak and numb. They shake when I stand. A Google search tells me the legs are most likely a result of stress. I hope that is correct. I’ve started taking sleeping pills at night because I was lying awake all night thinking about Breslow depths and mitosis rates. I know the numbers say my prognosis is excellent, but I admit I’m having a hard time dealing with this. I don’t know what I expect any of you to say…perhaps nothing. Maybe I just needed to type this. I just want this thing out of my arm. Thanks for listening.

Steve

cohanja
    Participant

I was a mess between my diagnosis (7/18/11) and my WLE (8/3/11). . I was depressed, worried, just wanted to sleep and not think about anything. . I think what you’re experiencing is probably not abnormal

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Try some relaxation exercises. Also, ask your doctor for anti anxiety meds to deal with this short term. It is normal, but don’t let yourself suffer needlessly. Mindful meditation is very helpful too. Exercise hard and often if you can. This too will pass..

Lisa P
    Participant

My heart goes out to you. I’ve been where you are. Panicky, upset, sleepless, freaked out. Yuck. Take good care of yourself and please keep us posted on how it goes. We’re all rooting for you. Hang tough, Lisa

krissy424
    Participant

I knew people on the inside working at my surgeons office. Still took me 17 days to get my WLE. I was melanoma obsessed and learned a couple of years worth of on-line study in two weeks flat. i know you have done the same. We have absolutely every reason to believe you will be in the 95% of survivors, Steve. don’t know about you, but i feel my brain’s chemistry changed during that wait period. Hard to explain, but i had a new way of looking at life. It was not all bad, part was very good. Steve, you will be okay.

Worrywart
    Participant

I hope today goes by quickly for you! Good luck with your WLE. Waiting is the hardest part.

Trust me when I say, it gets better! Just know what you are feeling is normal and we’ve all been there.

spschultz
    Participant

Just got home after the WLE. Everything went well, I suppose. All the doctors were upbeat, and I feel better already just having that thing taken out of my arm. I won’t really be better until I see an oncologist and the test results on the tumor come back, but hopefully today marked the end of my cancer journey and not the beginning of it. I know of course I’ll have to be vigilant about this the rest of my life, but hopefully today was the worst of it.

Steve

Lisa P
    Participant

Steve – congratulations for getting the WLE behind you. I can’t recall if you said earlier that the biopsy showed clear margins or not. Regardless, it sounds like you’re in really good shape and now that it’s out you can move forward. Take good care of yourself and please let us know when the pathology report comes back. I suspect it will have good news for you. Til’ then, here’s to your good health! Lisa

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.