• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bradley561
    Participant

Hello eveyone. I am brand new here and was hoping to get some answers from my biopsy. I have always heard the word melenoma and the words skin cancer but I never thought I would be writing about it or even having it. I am very confused by reading the biopsy report. The nurse who called me was very vague. I had a mole taken off my back last Wednesday. The report states, melenoma without ulceration. Clarks level 3 breslow .35mm. Margins are free however it comes close to a margin. An appropriate excision is recommended. Can somebody help me clear my mind. Thanks. I am 40 year old male.

charissa1969
    Participant

Hi, Bradley.

I’m so sorry about the results of your biopsy. I was diagnosed this past July and so the memories of the initial shock and feelings of unreality are very fresh. The next step after diagnosis is to meet with a surgeon to schedule a WLE (wide local excision) around the area of the biopsy. Since your melanoma is so shallow, I don’t know if a SNB (sentinel node biopsy) would be recommended, but Catherine will know. I do know that you want to find a surgeon who is familiar with melanoma. Again, Catherine can help you there as well. You will be in my prayers.

Charissa

bradley561
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. I do have a great dermatologist that will do the surgery. If anybody else can give me some feedback that would be greatly appreciated.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Welcome Bradley! You’ve come to the right place for reassurance and accurate information. You are definitely low risk and after the wide excision, will not have to deal with this again. I didn’t see a mitotic rate mentioned, is that on your report? Sounds like you caught this good and early and you should continue with great skin exams and avoiding overexposure to the sun. Please be sure to look at our webinar on Pathology and also our pages about it as well.

bradley561
    Participant

That was not mentioned on the report. The Dr who did the biopsy was not in so I decided to take a copy for me and look into what the report meant. I am happy to have found this website with such great people and support you all have for each other and a newbie like me. So a lot to absorb and understand.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The depth or Breslow level is the number one indicator, but mitotic can be influencing. I doubt you had any at that shallow depth, but always good to know.

bradley561
    Participant

Does anyone else have a similar report of there biopsy?

tbeau
    Participant

Hi Bradley:

I’m sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. I was diagnosed with nodular melanoma in July of 2012. Clark’s Level 4. Breslow 1.25 mm. Mitosis 2. I had a WLE and a SLNB which came back clear. While my diagnosis is a little different than yours I wanted to respond to you because I think you need some reassurance that you will be ok. I am 1 1/2 years out and I am ok. Mentally, it takes a toll on you and of course there is no guarantee that the melanoma hasn’t spread or that it won’t reappear at a later time, but the odds are in our favor. Its good that you caught it early. Mine was on my leg and required a skin graft to close the WLE. A melanoma diagnosis can scare the hell out of you but it definitely gives you a wake up call as to what is really important in your life. I hope this post helps you some. Make sure you are being treated by a dermatologist that specializes in melanoma and think about a second opinion. I see my local dermatologist 2xs per year and I go to a melanoma center of excellence to see their dermatologist 2xs per year.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Bradley,

I am a long time out from diagnosis, 23 years! Mine was .76 with mitosis and vertical growth.

So your odds are excellent!

debs
    Participant

Hi Bradley, I have the same diagnosis. Just heard yesterday and was downplaying the seriousness until last night when I began to investigate more. From all I have read we have the best of the worst. It’s so small and easily removed. it hasn’t spread and we needn’t awfulize too much. What seems most important is to be very vigilant from now on.

let us know how you are. my excision is on the 22nd of January at the dermatologists office too. since it’s on my left bicep it shouldn’t be too worrisome. Good luck.

cohanja
    Participant

” we have the best of the worst” I also had a very similar diagnosis, and I would agree with that phrase, except I might say in-situ fits that better, while microinvasive might be more like “the next best of the worst”

Worrywart
    Participant

Hi Bradley,

I am sorry you’ve been dx with melanoma. 1. Get a second opinion on your pathology. 2. Get to know your skin – taking pictures with light you can duplicate can help. Once you get to know all your moles, etc you will be able to notice anything new or changing. 3. Protect yourself from sun, but research your sunblocks as many contain chemicals that are not safe – best bet is to stay covered, seek shade when possible, wear hat and my favorite – ‘everything in moderation’.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.