Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II just received patholgy report, please help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    harrison14
    Participant

below is the pathology report…

Breslow .5mm

clark level III

features of regression prominent

no evidence of ulceration

no dermal mitoses identified

Note: the margins of the specimen appear to be clear in the plane of section.

Dr. told me i was at stage 1a.

He did a WLE the other day of 1cm

please help explain

Rich

cohanja
    Participant

I might ask more about the prominent regression part. Does the Dr think that at one time the lesion was thicker based on the prominent regression? Was the regression extensive, defined as either >50% or >75% of the lesion?

harrison14
    Participant

I will find out in two weeks when I get staplesvremoved. But isn’t regression a good thing. What the other info provided?

cohanja
    Participant

No ulceration and no mitoses are both good prognostically. 0.5 is pretty thin, but others on the forum can jump in with regard to regression. I’m not a medical professional, but from what I’ve read it seems like regression is not a clear thing prognostically. I’ve had some Doctors tell me it’s good my body/immune system was responding to the lesion, but other Doctors have told me that extensive regression is not good because that could mean the lesion was at one time deeper.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The depth is the number one prognosticator, and this is low risk. Each year or so, the pathology folks come up with a new term they think may bear looking at, regression, ulceration and mitosis are among them. But when that is unclear, it always goes back to the depth. You are low risk and that’s a wonderful thing.

Worrywart
    Participant

The only ‘issue’ with yoru path report is the regression. But regression is only an issue when it masks true depth of a lesion, and when that happens it is generally noted in the report – it would say something like ‘depth of .5 but cannot exclude deeper lesion due to features of regression’.

No mitosis = great.

No ulceration = great.

Depth is low risk.

Pretty straight fwd but i always recommend a second opinion, this is cancer, a second opinion is so important! You have to be your own advocate and cover all yoru bases!

Best wishes!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.