Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Melanoma and possible metastisis to lungs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    yurekj
    Participant

My 73 y/o father was dx with melanoma in Oct., 2012. The Dr. said it was <.1mm (spot was about the size of a nickel) In August, 2012 he began having extreme weakness in his extremities, pytosis and difficulty swallowing. This was dx in Jan., 2013 as myasthenia gravis. He began a treatment of mestinon and prednisone (6 wk) therapy. The MG seems to be under control at this point. He had the melanoma excised in Oct., 2012. A SLN was scheduled but could not be done due to the node being in his chest. He was told to have a PET scan in March. He had the PET scan done but PE and suspicious spots on both lungs were found. He was admitted to the hospital where they started him on Lovenox and found that he had had a DVT in his calf. He had a lung biopsy yesterday. We were told the spots could be cancerous, non malignant or scarring. At this point I have no idea where we stand and what I have been reading on line does not point to a positive prognosis. He did not have any other areas showing up on the PET scan that seemed involved. He did tell me he had had the melanoma spot for "years". Can anyone tell me if we might have caught this in the early stage or the extensive stage? All of the symptoms have come about in the last 7 months. Thank you.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I’m sorry to hear of all the difficulty your father is experiencing. I really think he needs an expert doctor to check him out to determine what is going on and whether it could be metastatic melanoma. It would be very hard to guess at this diagnosis without extensive review of his scans etc. Where do you live? Maybe we can help you find a center of excellence.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.