Home Forums For Caregivers Only melanoma claims another one

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    njreaders
    Participant

we just lost my hubby and father to two great kids at 56, on our 34th wedding anniversary from metastatic melanoma to the brain. He couldn’t get into clinical trials as he had brain mets and he couldn’t get into the Merck 3475 early access due to growing brain mets. Isn’t it contradictory that the early access is also called ‘compassionate care’ yet someone who so desperately needs the drug is denied it??This medical system is majorly screwed up. He never had anything on his skin. They found the cancer, already metastized, on his lung in April 2013. It was removed in May 2013 and then it reoccurred in his brain in Nov 2013. He was the most kindest, patient, ethical person and taken way too soon.

katie1
    Participant

So very sorry. Thinking of you and your family.

Kate

njreaders
    Participant

thank you. It hardly seems real and I don’t get why it happens to the nicest, kindest, and most ethical person.

Annieo
    Participant

I am so sorry for your sad loss.

Anne

Anonymous

Oh man I’m so, so sorry. Yeah, it’s not fair, after all, once approved, you can probably get it despite brain mets.

I’m sorry. Keep in touch. There are other care giver survivors here who can help you through this journey.

Jeff

njreaders
    Participant

yeah it really stinks.

dkmc
    Participant

I am so sorry. There are really no words. Take care…much love. Karen

dhdoyle68
    Participant

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, this disease does not play fair. On 6/13 it will six months since I lost my best and wife of 20 years to metastatic melanoma in the brain. She was two days away from starting her PD-1 trial when it was found in her brain. Have faith that you will be together again. Sincerely. 😥

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I’m very sorry to hear this news. The Expanded Access is not the same as compassionate use for certain. There is a lot to change in our medical system and I hope some of you will be inspired to

be advocates. The loss of someone so dear just puts a hole in your life and I hope you have friends and family that will come in close to help fill that for you. Time does heal but never changes things. Take care of yourself now as your husband would want you to. You were an awesome caregiver to him.

njreaders
    Participant

thanks for the sweet words. I’m glad I got to spend every day with help since he got sick. But too many people go thru the issue with brain mets and these folks can’t get the meds. this HAS to change

celebratehome
    Participant

So sorry to hear this news. Sending prayers and hugs your way.

Monica

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘For Caregivers Only’ is closed to new topics and replies.