Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Melanoma of the Eye?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Icegurl470
    Participant

23 yr old female diagnosed with stage IB Melanoma on my back in early May and treated with WLE and SLNB. I just recently had my first follow-up with a dermatologist for a skin screening. He said he had 2 patients with Melanoma of the eye and recommended I get regular eye exams. I know its extremely rare especially for thin Melanomas, such as mine, but I was just curious.. Does anyone suffer form this?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Ocular melanoma has NOTHING to do with cutaneous melanoma. It is very rare, I’m surprized to hear your doc has seen so many cases. A good eye exam is always a good idea, but cutaneous melanoma is caused in most instances by UV radiation. Ocular melanoma doesn’t have a known cause, but may be a genetic abnormality. I hope this reassures you.

Icegurl470
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the info. I did see an eye doc and I have yearly follow-ups but, it sounded like the dermatologist did think there was a link, so I’m glad there’s not. I don’t need anything else to worry about right now.

keitht
    Participant

As a Choroidal Melanoma sufferer I can confirm what Catherine says in that melanomas of the eye are not linked to cutaneous melanomas.

HOWEVER, I do recommend that everyone ensure that they have regular eye examinations to pick up any irregularities early.

Ocular melanomas can be v rapid to develop. Assessments and treatments need to be carried out within days not weeks of diagnosis because metasteses develop via the blood stream not the lymphatic system and generally move directly from Stage I to Stage 4.

There are effective treatments for many OMs but the resulting mets, usually in the liver or bones, are incurable although some new treatments are emerging to stem their development.keitht

Private messageE-mail keitht

cohanja
    Participant

Is OM also caused by sun exposure (to the eyes)?

keitht
    Participant

There is no evidence to link OM to sunlight or to any other agent. It seems to be more or less a lottery. It is not hereditory.

Often a freckle, naevus, wart or raised blood vessel is identified as the source but many of us have these which never develop into anything more.

cohanja
    Participant

So, cutaneous mel doesn’t put one at increased risk for ocular mel?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

No it is not related, nor is cutaneous related to mucosal melanoma of the mucous membranes, i.e. vaginal, rectal, mouth, etc. These are probably due to some genetic aberration. But it isn’t known for sure. That’s why when docs say after a melanoma diagnosis, go get your eyes checked and go to the gyn, they don’t realize the vast difference. Sure, these check ups are a good idea but not for this reason.

cohanja
    Participant

So, then it’s really not necessary, the eye exams? That’s exactly what the doctors said. . go get your eyes checked. . which I did. . and planned to do annually. . .only for this reason, not cause I’m having any vision problems. So, it’s really not necessary is what I’m hearing?

heronlover
    Participant

I think an eye exam annually is a good idea, even if it is not melanoma related. Keeping your eyes healthy seems part of our overall quest to stay strong.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.