- This topic is empty.
November 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm #20802peter34Participant
I had mole removed on 12/11/2012. Dermatologist already booked me (on the same day as the mole was removed) for 3/12/2012 to get the results and follow up appointment. This was for me as she already new I have a cancer
When I went to get my stitches removed I asked nurse for the results. She couldn’t print it out for me but I looked at the screen and there it was:
It can be Superficial Spreading Melanoma Breslow: 1mm, Clark III
I didn’t read anything more as it hit me already
I had this mole growing slowly over the years
( Stupidity that I didn’t go earlier to check it. Although 1 GP said it is nothing.
I’m sure I will have more margins removed. Do you think I will have to have lymph nodes removed? Shame I couldn’t see other details but I guess everything will be clear on 3/12.
Why it says: ‘It can be’ – they are not 100% sure?
Thank you for your input.November 26, 2012 at 2:35 pm #57792
Hi and welcome,
Your melanoma was at a depth (1) that is usually considered for a sentinel node biopsy. Please read up on this on our website at
and look at our Newly Diagnosed section link above in
Dye will be injected to see if there are any melanoma cells in your nodes. Was there a mitotic figure? I didn’t see that. So this SLNB will be done when they go back to do a wide excision. It sounds like they need to talk with you further. But we are here to answer any questions. You can call our helpline too: 866-463-6663.November 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm #57793peter34Participant
Is it done under general anesthetic? Does it always involve removing at least 1 lymp node for biopsy?November 26, 2012 at 10:55 pm #57794 Hi,
In Oct. I had a 1.0 mm clarks level IV removed. They very quickly scheduled me for a WLE and an SNB. Yes they put you under. It is not so bad though. Waiting until March seems like torture. Is there another doctor you can see and maybe speed the process up? I had my surgery within 2 weeks of being diagnosed. I hope that you can get some results more quickly than that! Get a second opinion.
My oncologist is also recommending I go on Interferon treatments because of the 1.0mm. Just an FYI for you…
Good luck!November 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm #57795cohanjaParticipant
That seems more than what I’ve typically seen for people – Catherine, is that typical, to recommend interferon treatments for 1 mm?November 27, 2012 at 12:01 am #57796 No. Interferon is only recommended in high risk, usually more than one node being positive, 3C disease. Or if it is nodular. But that would not be appropriate for a 1.0 depth lesion.November 27, 2012 at 12:10 am #57797 I am a bit confused about that also. I am seeing a Melanoma specialist in the morning to get a second opinion. I have read that stage IIB and IIC are recommended for the Interferon treatment. Hopefully I will get some light shed in the morning.November 27, 2012 at 1:02 am #57798 Many specialists no longer prescribe it, for instance Sloan Kettering, Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins. They don’t believe the benefit outweighs the side affects and the American Society of Clinical Oncology stated it does not extend overall survival. Some still prescribe it though. If you are interested in a therapy, take a look at the Mage A3 trials for 2b/3 stages and also the clinical trial of IPI vs. interferon. Hopefully in the near future more options will be made available to these stages.November 27, 2012 at 2:19 am #57799cohanjaParticipant wouldn’t amandamni be Stage I ?November 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm #57800 Yes, unless she has positive nodes which she hasn’t mentioned her results of the SLNBNovember 28, 2012 at 3:01 am #57801 I saw the Melanoma specialist today and he did a double take when I mentioned that the oncologist wants me to take Interferon. He also said that I was not a stage II but a stage I. Phew what a relief! I am so thankful that I got that second opinion! I find it odd that the two doctors had me staged differently… Oh and my SNB was clear.November 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm #57802 Congratulations! It is so important to get second opinions especially from experienced doctors. Your story is such an special illustration of that.November 28, 2012 at 6:30 pm #57803Lisa PParticipant Congratulations, Amandamni! What fantastic news. So did the specialist recommend any follow up? Also, did you say your original doctor was a derm or oncologist or….
If it were me I would call or write to the original doctor to close the loop, let him/her know I saw the specialist, and the conclusion that interferon is no longer recommended. It may not thrill them, but it could save another melanoma patient like yourselfwho comes to them down the road. And that’s what we’re all about.
Again, congratulations!!!!!! Lisa
- The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.