• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

I’m confused as to why people with melanoma sometimes say they take this supplement, isn’t this something for sleeping?

wpatterson4
    Participant

People take a lot of things…….

But seriously, I’ve never heard of this one.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Melatonin is a hormone secreted by the pineal gland in the brain. It helps regulate other hormones and maintains the body’s circadian rhythm. Some think it helps them sleep or may be used for jet lag. It has nothing to do with melanoma.

cohanja
    Participant

Thanks. What are some of the recommended supplements for melanoma? Turmeric? Selenium? Flaxseed? Do any of these actually have real benefit for melanoma patients to decrease risk of recurrence or other primary?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Vitamin D is only proven supplement folks should take. It has even been shown to prevent colds. It is a good immune booster but talk to you doctor about how much to take. Otherwise you get most good vitamins etc from fresh locally grown produce and avoiding meat for the most part. Vegetarians live longer!

cohanja
    Participant

just red meat & pork, or even avoid chicken, turkey, & fish too?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I would stick to poultry that hasn’t been fed hormones and antibiotics. Fish is good except tuna and swordfish are said to have high amounts of mercury.

coasttocoast
    Participant

There are actually a lot of interesting studies about melatonin & melanoma:

http://journals.lww.com/melanomaresearch/pages/results.aspx?mobile=0&k=Melatonin&Scope=AllIssues&txtKeywords=Melatonin

In any case, it’s natural and perfectly safe, even in high doses, and might help with sleep if nothing else!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.