Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Metastasis to stomach

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    KarinB
    Participant

Dear all,

I’ve been posting here before on behalf of my father, who has been stage IV for 3 years now. He has had 2 operations before to remove metastasis (one behind his ear, one behind his kidneys). He has been NED for a year now, unfortunately they found something on the PET scan last week.

Today he had an internal stomach research of which we will get the restults next week. However, the docter performing the research said he had no doubts that it looked like melanom metastasis. We will have a meeting with our oncologist next week Friday (no option to have the appointment earlier since he is on holidays..)

Before our appointment next week, I would like to know which options we have right now. Not sure if this can be removed with surgery or not. He has been tested positive for BRAF, so Zelboraf could be an option. He did not try Yervoy yet, so that is also a possibility. We’re seeing dr Haanen at NKI-AVL and he is involved in the TIL study, so we might ask if that is an option too.

I would appreciate any feedback on this and maybe there are people on this forum who also had metastasis to the stomach.

Karin

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Is it the stomach or intestines? I know of many folks who have had tumors in the intestines and surgery was done to correct this issue. How old is your father? If he is older than 50, I would guess he wouldn’t qualify for the TIL therapy. You have to be young and very fit for that. Yervoy takes longer to kick in, so he may want to try Zelboraf first to resolve this tumor. There may be some other approvals coming, the BRAF/Mek Dual therapy is under consideration now. It is made by GlaxoSmithKline. I hope things go well for your father. Let us know.

KarinB
    Participant

Catherine, thanks for your reply.

The metastasis in on the inside of the stomach. It was described as a tumor mass, it mostly sticks on the wall of the stomach (probably not the right medical description, but don’t know how to explain it otherwise)Apart from active tumor, there are also dead tumor parts present.

Regarding the TIL therapy, my dad is 55 years old, but in very good physical shape. Not sure how strict the age limit is, will try to find more info on that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.