Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Mole Regrowth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Icegurl470
    Participant

The first mole I had removed, after my dx of stage 1B mel on my back, was a very unusual mole on my right nipple (ouch). It was very dark, scaly, irregular and had recently grown, so I was pleasantly surprised when the test results came back normal. Now, a year later, a small portion of the mole has grown back and I’m not sure what to do. My primary mel was from a mole that was previously biopsied and came back normal, then partially grew back. Aprox 8 years later it was stage 1B mel, so I’m scared history is going to repeat itself. When I got the mole on my nipple removed the first time, the doctor warned me that the scar tissue may prevent me from being able to breast feed on that side. It healed well and I’m told I shouldn’t have trouble breast feeding. The regrowth is just a tiny spec, so I’m assuming removing it shouldn’t prevent me from breast feeding, but I don’t know if I should risk it. I decided to wait and watch, but I’m getting married this summer and we plan on having babies shortly there after, so I don’t know if I should wait.

cohanja
    Participant

At the very least, I would report this to your doc and get his/her take on it. I, personally, would probably have it excised again. But you need to work out with your doctor what is right for you. There is no standard of care so there really is no right answer, only what you can live with.

wpatterson4
    Participant

This is a clear case. Go get it removed. Odds are that it’s not melanoma, but we can’t really take chances.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I agree with the others. Get it removed so you don’t have to worry about it. It will heal in time for your future childbearing. Congratulations on your marriage.

Icegurl470
    Participant

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’m going to feel kinda silly going in to have such a small mole removed, but I just don’t want to have to worry about it a year from now when I’m pregnant or breastfeeding. I’d rather have a simple procedure now, than a more serious procedure down the road if it continues to grow.

Ellis2ca
    Participant

I am curious to ask you something. You wrote this:

Icegurl470 wrote:

My primary mel was from a mole that was previously biopsied and came back normal, then partially grew back. Aprox 8 years later it was stage 1B mel

My questions are: Was your primary mole not excised when it was biopsied? If it was not, how did they take the biopsy to tell you that it was “normal”? Was it a mistake not to have excised the whole mole?

If they did excise it, how did it grow back, if it wasn’t there anymore?

Icegurl470
    Participant

By biopsied I really meant they removed the whole thing and sent it in for testing. I expressed concerns when the it started to grow back but was told that she just probably didn’t go “deep enough” and it’s not uncommon for a mole to grow back. This was freshman or sophomore year in high school. My guess is that if it had come back anything but “normal” they would have had to go back in and excise some surrounding tissue to make sure all the margins were clear and the thing probably wouldn’t have grown back. Last year at the age of 23 I was seeing a new doctor in a different town and when she saw the mole she immediately knew it needed to be removed (again) and sent in for testing. The results were T1B mel. After the fact, yes, I do wish the first doctor had done a good enough job removing it the first time. All I was really given the first time was a false sense of security. This is why I’m concerned about this regrowth.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I would get a second opinion on the pathology for this. The regrowth can be concerning. Are these board certified dermatologists you are seeing? What type of biopsies? Should be excisional biopsy. Is there a teaching center type hospital near you?

Icegurl470
    Participant

Just an update about this post. I pointed out the re-growth on my nipple to my dermatologist whom I see twice a year. He said he was going to request the pathology results from the doctor who removed it before he gave me his opinion. I called him a couple weeks later and he said the path report had come back complex nevus, which he said is a common, non-cancerous type of mole, but he still wants me to go back to the doctor who removed it and have it remove and test it again. The soonest I could make an appointment was a month from now and I will be 18 weeks pregnant by then. I’m hoping a small piece was just left behind from the first time he removed it and the results will come back normal again. Even though I’ve had moles removed with other doctors, my actual dermatologist has never recommended anything for biopsy and even made the comment last time I was there that “removing normal moles doesn’t prevent melanoma” so I was surprised that he wanted me to have it removed again. It seems like mole regrowth is more of a concern than I thought it was. I just hope it doesn’t require WLE because I’m pregnant and hope to breastfeed…

cohanja
    Participant

I’m not sure if this is exactly the same scenario as you; but, maybe similar. In May, 2012, I had “Compound Clark’s Nevus” removed from my shoulder. Melanocytes extended to the margins (no evidence of malignancy). Eventually, some pigment started to grow back (which is probably normal but in our shoes, any pigment regrowth they probably will remove). In March, 2013, I had the pigment regrowth biopsied and it was “persistent junctional melanocytic hyperplasia” with no evidence of malignancy.

Worrywart
    Participant

Why can’t the derm you just saw remove it? Seems silly to go back to the other Dr, esp if he can’t get you in for a month. I’d have your current doc remove it ASAP so you don’t have to worry about it. This is more important than breastfeeding bc you can breastfeed with just one nipple. I nursed all my kids and I tended to favor one side anyways – the more the baby eats out of that side, the more milk that side will produce. You might be lopsided for a while but who cares. Let us know how it goes! Thinking of you! ;)

Icegurl470
    Participant

I kinda wondered that myself.. I saw cryogenic mole remover while I was there and I know he can do punch biopsies. I’m not really sure he can completely remove moles, but I would assume so. Maybe because it’s on my nipple he thought a surgeon should do it… The doctor I’m waiting to see is a general surgeon, he’s great and he’s removed most my moles. If I’m concerned about something I usually go right to him and have it taken off and tested and skip the middle man. My primary mel was in a large birth mark on my shoulder blade and my family practice pcp took it off right in my doctors office. The night she removed the stitches and told me it was melanoma I had to go to the emergency room because the wound popped open and was bloody and gross. As if that day could get any worse! The doc who fixed me up in the ER said she had no business taking my stitches out that early. So, even though it’s a simply procedure, I learned it can still get screwed up and I’d rather just wait for the general surgeon to do it.

Worrywart
    Participant

yeah, good point, since its your nipple you might want a dr more experienced with surgery, even if minor. Best wishes!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.