Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III More Surgery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    msue5
    Participant

After my Vats surgery turned up a normal node the surgeon knew the node taken was the wrong one. Repeat PET showed abnormal node still there. The Vats did not allow visulization of the correct area. I will be having a Mediastineoscopy on Tues. Supposed to be easier than the Vats. The big drawback to this surgery is they cannot remove the node intact which means possible escape of cancer cells. The Melanoma Med Onc says this will mean higher risk of recurrence and he also said with this procedure its possible they may not get the entire node. Of course it all depends on the pathology.

Mary Sue

Linny
    Participant

I’m so sorry to hear they have to go back in to retrieve a bad node. :(

Is there another type of surgery will allow a surgeon to remove that node with less risk involved?

msue5
    Participant

The safer way was the Vats because they are able to take the node intact. Since it wasn’t. accessible by Vats this is my only other choice.I will just have to keep up with 3 mos Pet Scans to look out for further metastisis.

Mary Sue

GaylaB
    Participant

So sorry to hear this:(

Good luck and keep us posted- you are such a strong lady.

Gayla

Anonymous

Mary Sue:

I’m sorry to hear this. Having a re-do has to be stressful by itself.

I’m thinking out of the box a bit here but melanoma is an out-of -the-box cancer. Ask if it’s possible to do radiation on the node and surrounding tissue margin. The idea is to kill the melanoma, then remove the node with margin. That may take care of the concern with it spreading from a fractionated surgical removal Of course this would depend on them being able to get at it with radiation.

Just a thought.

Jeff

Linny
    Participant

Wow, that’s certainly thinking outside the box! I would never think of even asking about that for melanoma. It reminds me of a friend of mine who had inflammatory breast cancer and had to have chemo to shrink the the cancer before doctors could even operate. This was over 15 years ago and she’s alive and well.

msue5
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your concern. Jeff, the Med Onc discussed radiation but he was talking about after the surgery to take care of any stray cells or even if they were unable to remove the entire node. But he said the location which is called the aorticopulmonary window is a concern. He said radiation in that area could cause damage to either the aorta or pulmonary artery. I guess we really won’t know until they can actually visualize the node. Strangely my brother had a benign tumor in almost the same area and when they went in to remove it it was adhered to the aorta and tore it. He almost bled out on the table but they were able to repair it quickly and he is OK almost 2 years later. I guess we’ll see on Tues.Again thanks for everyones concern.

Mary Sue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.