Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Multiple melanomas on one leg

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profgal43
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am curious to know if anyone else has had similar experiences to mine and if so how your treatment proceeded. I also just wanted to reach out and connect with others who are fighting this illness and winning.

My first melanoma was stage one in 2009. It was on the front of my right lower leg. My second was about three inches from the first and it was excised six months ago; it was also stage one. I am currently waiting for surgery next week for melanoma #3 and #4, both again on the front of my lower right leg. I am now enrolled in a melanoma clinic at my local research hospital. The docs say the melanomas are not satellites, but there is a “field of damage” on that leg and I am likely to keep growing melanomas. (I have also had five other spots biopsied in that same area and all had abnormal cells.) The other issue I have is I have many moles (100+) and the moles that have been melanoma look just like the rest. I have identified the last three based only on the fact that they were new and growing and in the area of my original surgery. I feel like a ticking time bomb! There are twelve new little moles on that leg right now and are they anywhere else?? Nerve wracking. I do know that I have been very lucky to have them diagnosed so early thus far. I had a lymph node biopsy 6 months ago and it was clear.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? What course of treatment have your docs followed? My melanoma doc is going to treat my leg with imiquimod after the surgery. Has anyone else had experience with this? I know its experimental, but it seems like its worth a shot as the only other option is to keep cutting and cutting and hope we get them all.

Any words of wisdom or encouragement you have to offer is appreciated. I had surgery on two melanomas and about 12 more punch biopsies Wed. It is a good time to be home recovering as the weather here in IN, US is awful,arctic temps and nonstop snow.

I would really like to find others in this “boat” to share support and info. Email me if you would like to:profgal43@gmail.com

Thanks. Karen

Karen

Anonymous

Hi Karen.

I’m interested in how your treatment in going. My ‘area’ is my upper right back.

In past two years two in-situs within an inch of each other and about 6 severs

Or proliferation s that require excision. My derm focuses on my back.

I recall being at the beach and that area got most sun so it makes sense.

Profgal43
    Participant

Hi Trish, Sorry I just now saw this as I got diagnosed again (#5) and felt the need for some support. I hope things are going well for you. From what I have been able to learn, its unusual to have multiple melanomas all in one area in a short period of time. Interestingly (sort of) Melanoma #5 is a new spot, my foot on the other leg. This one caught me by surprise, #4 in one year is a lot to take in. Do you find yourself getting paranoid about all of your other moles? Thanks for your response and I hope it is going well for you. I have used imiquimod as a preventive on my right leg (first four melanomas) and I have not had any new occurrences there and no new moles either. Maybe that could helpful to you as well? Take care! Karen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.