• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    rmccuskey1
    Participant

I’ve just gotten the results from my scalp lesion specimen. Malignant Melanoma, Nodular, Breslow Depth at least 3mm. Clarks level at least 4, Ulcerated, 15 mitoses per milimeter squared. Malignant melanoma extends diffusely to the deep margin and to within 0.1 mm of the periperal margin. I’m scheduled for a sentinal node biopsy on the 25th of Oct and additional surgery to shave 2 mm more material from the scalp. I believe I can establish a stage after the results of the sentinal node biopsy.

In the last 4 weeks I have also been diagnosed with Prostate cancer (gleason score of 6 and 2% of one of 12 biospies taken) with PSA scores no higher than 2.67 and had a colonoscopy retuned showing a precancerous nodul that had no cancer in it.

Any suggestions.

krissy424
    Participant

Glad you found the forum, rmccuskey1. Sorry you have been diagnosed with melanoma.

We can offer you valuable support in your fight.

The good news is, many of the people here have had the newest treatments and can help you sort through the treatments and what’s best to get you healthy again. Even stage lV melanoma is often now managed as a chronic disease with long term remission.

Some of the Clinical Trials are having amazing results in managing this bad boy cancer. Never give up! Sounds like your prostrate cancer is in early stages, so that is encouraging. Always best to know so you can make a plan with your doctors. Keep in touch and let us know how the sentinal node biopsy goes.

Kris

06-15-2012

superficial spreading melanoma, breslow .55, clark ll,

radial growth phase.NED

Laurie
    Participant

rmccuskey1 – Wishing you all the best with your diagnosis. As Krissy indicates, this is a great place for information and support. You questions are welcome and encouraged. You are not alone here. Your story also reminds us that our skin is not the only thing we need to monitor. Good Luck with Everything!

cohanja
    Participant

Absolutely right – I also had a colonoscopy and 2 adenomous polyps had to be removed

Abby
    Participant

Hey welcome, we are all routing for you.

My Breslow was deeper, but the rest of your path report sounded like mine, right down to the mitosis. I am doing pretty good and am being monitored closely. My lymph nodes were all clear after SLNB so keep positive. Miracles DO happen.

Keep us posted!!

Abby

rmccuskey1
    Participant

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Certainly lots of sleepless nights so far. I will keep you up to date.

rmccuskey1
    Participant

My SLNB is scheduled for 10/25/2012. I have a consultation scheduled with the Dr. on 10/15/20/12. Does any one have advice for what I should be expecting from that visit?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

YankeesGirl
    Participant

Hello rmccuskey1,

There are many knowledgeable and supportive people on this forum who can help with your questions and concerns. I am wishing you all the best!!

rmccuskey1
    Participant

The surgeons who are going to perform the SLNB and the additional shaving of my scalp on the 25th of October required that i go through some added tests. I have had an EKG, Chest X-ray and blood tests yesterday. The EKG has indicated that I now need to take a stress test (scheduled for this Friday) and the Chest X-ray shows two nodules in my left lung. I’m scheduled for a PET scan tomorrow.

It just seems to be getting worse by the day.

cohanja
    Participant

I too had Chest Xrays that showed suspicious nodules in my lung, but apparently that is not all that uncommon – turned out to be benign calcified granuloma, so I hope the PET shows it’s not something bad. The lungs often have benign things – and X-Rays are not the most detailed views. Causes people to panic with something in the lungs that can turn out to be nothing. Lungs are notorious for having stuff that shows up. I hope you find it’s not melanoma.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Lung nodules are very common and often benign. So try not to get overly worried about that. I hope the SLNB goes well for you and let us know how you are doing.

rmccuskey1
    Participant

The PETSCAN results are not good. The nodules in my lower left lung are cancer and scan shows two smaller nodes in the upper right lung that are cancer plus there is a questionable area in the upper colon. There is no evidence of cancer in the liver or spleen. Obviously the melanoma has spread. I am going to see an oncologist on Monday but every thing I see on the internet says that the prognosis is 6 to 9 months. I can’t believe this since right now I feel physically as good as I have for 5 years. I need to start working on getting my house in order.

My physicians are here in Peoria Illinois. Should I seek a second opinion from Mayo Clinic?

rmccuskey1
    Participant

Just got the results of the PETScan and they are not good. The cancer has spread to the lungs and maybe the smaller intestines. No cancer in the liver or spleen. I meet with my oncologist on Monday at 7:30am.

From what I can tell by surfing the net the typical prognosis for melanoma in the lungs is 6 to 9 months. Really little chance for good results.

Can anyone tell me what I’m going to be experiencing over the next few months? Right now I feel as good as I have for the last 5 years.

Should I get a second opinion after seeing my oncologist on Monday? He’s located at the Illinois Cancer Care clinic and is affiliated with Mayo Clinic. Should I also go to Mayo and if so does anybody have a suggestion of how I go about that?

Looks like I need to start my Bucket List.

Webbie73
    Participant

I don’t have any knowledge of what will be in the future for you. All I can do is send you a big hug and let you know I am thinking of you. Look into some clinical trials. there is a very active forum for stage 3 and 4. I am sure they will have more information for you. Best of everything to you.

Lisa P
    Participant

Hi. I don’t have any medical advice I can give either other than if you feel like you would rest easier with a second opinion, you should get one. I also echo the recomendation that you visit the Stage 3 and IV forum as I believe there are folks with experience who can definitely be of help, both technically and emotionally. I cannot imagine what you must be going through right now. Do you have family and friends you can lean on? If you’re feeling horribly anxious, I suggest you might want to call your regular gp to see if you can get something to help take the edge off. I’m not into pill popping, but there is a time and a place where they can be most helpful, and this seems to be one of those as far as I’m concerned. I can tell you that I heard about a drug they gave stage IV patients in a trial earlier this year that had remarkable results. Please don’t give up, but do keep connected and reaching out. In the meantime, I will be thinking of you and sending hugs your way. Lisa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.