Home Forums For Caregivers Only My sweet angel wife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SteveH230
    Participant

I am a long-time visitor here and have posted a few times. I wanted to thank you all for the knowledge, encouragement, and advice shared on this board.

My sweet Heather passed away on Saturday, Nov. 9 at the young age of 33. She was a beautiful redhead, we were married in July 2012, and she was given the stage IV diagnosis 6 weeks later. She was most recently on the Merck PD-1 trial and scheduled to go in for her 12-week scans yesterday at Vanderbilt. Obviously the treatment didn’t work on her, and I just think she was too far along for it to help her very much. Though she had met the inclusion criteria to get in, her little body was weak and just slowly gave out. We didn’t expect to lose her anytime soon, but I am comforted that I was holding her, at home, and she was not in pain.

She had been in treatment since October 2012 and had mets in the abdomen, liver, spleen, bone, and brain. The abdominal/pelvic tumors were causing a lot of pain and digestive problems, but we got the pain under control for her last couple of days with stronger meds. I am so proud of her, she never complained or got angry with her situation, even while doing IL-2, IPI, SRS, carbo-taxol, whole brain radiation, and finally anti-PD-1. She loved the Lord, and I’m comforted knowing that she has a new body in heaven and no longer suffering.

A month before she passed, she helped raise over $22,000 for melanoma research and awareness. She wanted to be healed so badly so she could devote her life to helping and encouraging others facing a grim diagnosis. I think she had 600 people at her memorial service this week and equally as many at the visitation. My heart goes out to all who are fighting this awful disease and their family & caregivers.

Bless you all,

Steve

Anonymous

Steve:

I’m so sorry and so sad to hear about Heather’s passing. She was waaaaaaaaaaay to young.

What a brave, kind and loving soul she was.

She is indeed free.

My heart goes out to you now at the start of your journey.

Jeff

dhdoyle68
    Participant

Steve,

I cannot think of any words that haven’t already been expressed to you. I’m so sorry you didn’t have more time to spend together. I sincerely hope you have a close family that can comfort you in your time of need. I can only believe that Heather is in a better place with family and friends that have passed before her.

Doug

tbeau
    Participant

Steve:

I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. What a wonderful woman she must have been. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take time to take care of yourself now.

dkmc
    Participant

Steve, wow that was too fast. I am so sorry for your loss. Someday we are going to know why some respond to treatments and some do not. The answers are out there waiting to be discovered. Heather will be a part of that. Take care now of yourself, I am so so sorry you all did not have more time together. There really are no words. : (

Karen

AndyT
    Participant

Oh dear Steve, my heart is broken reading this. My wife died on October 4th, almost the same situation (mets from oct 2012, wbr…). She was only 37. I will always remember your post after your wife went through wbr…it was so encouraging, it helped my dear wife and me so much, made us strong for weeks. It is almost unbelievable, I guess nobody could give us such strength at that time.Thank you Steve. And Thank you MIF for bring us together. It may only be words from a stranger on the other side of the world, but they can mean so much and do so much.

You were a great support, be strong and remember, nothing can’t take her from your heart.

My prayers are with you, stay strong.

Andy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘For Caregivers Only’ is closed to new topics and replies.