Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II my wife received the news today!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Yes, the pathology report is the biopsy results. Ask for a copy to be sent to you as they recieve it. Also, ask where they send their biopsies, make sure it is a dermatopathologist that is looking at it. You may still want a second opinion. I will check out this derm practice, but doubt it will be familiar. You’re on the right track, and you may want to check our our resources, click thru at the top of the page: Newly Diagnosed, Melanoma Terms, etc. You will be well educated for this and it should make things a bit less scary.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I meant to say in better English, that the biopsy results are what makes up the pathology report. I would look up the doctors individually on http://www.aad.org and see where they went to school and what their specialty is. If it is cosmetic, steer clear. I will take a look at the mole, I have been correct guessing at pictures in the past, but I’m certain that only a biopsy will give you the proper answer.

chuck
    Participant

All of your responses are greatly appreciated. We are heading to the appointment now. Ill post later today about the visit.

thanks

chuck
    Participant

Back from the Doc. the doc is guessing that it is basal cell. My wife was ok with them doing a shave biopsy since it was thought to be basal cell and they didn’t want put a hole in my wifes back if they didn’t need too. If it was me i would have still asked for an excision but my wife went with a shave.

anyway…. im uploading a video i took with my phone during the visit and will post the link as soon as it is finished uploading. You can hear everything the doctor was saying.

Thanks

Chuck and Michelle

cohanja
    Participant

Deep shave. . sometimes called saucerization. . .is better than pure surface shave, I think. At least it gets some depth.

chuck
    Participant

ok here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuFlzNufq1c

if you watch it and see anything that needs our attention please let us know.

Thanks

Chuck and Michelle

Worrywart
    Participant

looked pretty typical. they really won’t know what it is until pathology is back.

casey188
    Participant

Looks like he went pretty deep so that is good. I had a similar crater on the side of my nose when I had a basal cell. I had Moh’s surgery when I was 31. It grew under an actinic keratosis that the derm wouldn’t take off two years before that because she didn’t want to give me a scar. Well I have one all right! It can seem like a pain to do the follow up but it is necessary. I was also told to use a triple antibiotic ointment like polysporin. They really want you to prevent infection. Here’s hoping the path report comes back confirming basal cell.

7spider
    Participant

Everything looked like it went real well, cool video ! Hope you get pleasant results !

chuck
    Participant

To those of you who took the time to watch the vid and post your thoughts.. THANK YOU!!

Chuck and Michelle

AngelaM
    Participant

An experienced dermatologist can often see a melanoma using only the dermascope or the mole max image. Melanomas display certain patters of pigmentation, which is what they are seeing. These patterns represent growth. However, only a pathologist can provide a definitive diagnosis.

It may be that the lesion is too big for a dermatologist to excise and thus a surgeon is recommended.

Let us know what the results are and stay calm!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Even with a dermatoscope, the only way to determine a melanoma is by pathology. I watched the video, I was a little disappointed in some remarks the derm made about excisional biopsies but nothing alarming. Most derms are not into doing them because they require stitches and they are more adept at doing the deep shave or punch. He did make assumptions without the pathology which is probably not a good idea until he gets the results back. I hope it turns out be something low risk or nothing at all!

7spider
    Participant

It seems like a lot of DRs choose the easier less time consuming procedures and I think some of them don’t like it when you go in there educated about the best methods available. It’s really hard sometimes to find a Dr that isn’t in a hurry to get on to the next room and next patient. I guess they wouldn’t make it to lunch or the golf course on time if they had to stitch up the lesions they remove, so they choose the shave or punch cause it’s better for them. Very unfortunate, but reality.

chuck
    Participant

***UPDATE**

The path report is back and Basal Cell has been confirmed.

My wife is scheduled to return on Aug 1 for an excision.

We are waiting for them to mail us a copy of the pathology report and once I receive it I will post it on here.

Thanks again to all of you

Chuck and Michelle

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

sounds like good news, congrats!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.