Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III Nearly made it

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Piper
    Participant

Hi All

I was nearly at my 4th year of being NED but my last pet scan showed an enlarged lymph node, they are not sure if it is melanoma yet, but it is in the same arm as last time. Quick history is that in Nov 2009 a lump was under my right arm 18 lymph nodes taken out only one had melanoma, no primary every found, had interferon then just pet scans for the following years.

So now I am waiting to see the same surgeon who took out those 18 lymph nodes in Nove 2009 to see what he thinks.

My question is do you think I should have surgery to get the lymph nodes taken out, which may cause swelling of my arm etc or what are my other options.

Cheers

Linny
    Participant

Hi Piper,

You and I have a very similar history (unknown primary, single positive lymph node), except for the interferon part. This is hitting rather close to home for me.

If you search this forum you’ll see posts regarding PET scans giving false positive results in some folks. Some doctors will order a CT scan in addition to a PET scan to get a better look at things. So, you may end up getting a CT scan. If there still is an area of concern, then the doctor may order a fine needle aspiration to see if any melanoma cells are present. Only then will he or she be in a position to discuss options with you.

On the positive side (if there could be one), it sounds like the PET scan didn’t show any other areas of concern other than something going on in your axilla.

It’s always possible that this could just be a reactive node that has nothing to do with melanoma.

Piper
    Participant

Hi Linley

This lymph node has been enlarged in the last 2 pet scans, so for over a year now. I did say” but it hasn’t got any bigger” but the Dr said is is not worth the risk.

So I guess I need to wait to see what my surgeon says and take it from there.

Piper

Linny
    Participant

If it’s remained stable it’s possibly a good thing. The enlarged node that I had from the melanoma was anything but stable and I’m sure your original one must have been the same way as well.

The best thing they can do for you is figure out what’s going on in that node and get it over with. Have you had an ultrasound done on the area of concern yet? I’d completely forgotten about that option. Sometimes they use that to get a closer look at the node. They can also use the ultrasound during a fine needle aspiration to make sure the needle goes in the right place to get as good a sample as possible.

Try to hang in there, though. I know the waiting stinks. :(

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.