Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING THESE NEW PATHOLOGY REPORTS!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GaylaB
    Participant

Had some biopsies done since I am stage III , they are looking and removing anything suspicious:

Results of 3 are:

Right upper back- junctional dysplastic melanocytic nevus with atypical features ( moderate dyslasia). Occasional cells above the junction for these reasons complete excision is necessary

Umbilicus- compound dysplastic melanocytic nevus with atypical features ( moderate dyslasia). There are features of a spindle cell nevus of Reed- wide excision needed

Right medial leg- junctional dysplastic melanocytic nevus with atypical features- single melanocytic predominate. Should be excised full thickness with a margin of normal skin. Melan A immunohistochemistry confirm this. Needs wide excision.

Oh wow! I have no idea what all this means and will spend the weekend worrying

Any translation appreciated !

Forgive the spellcheck on the IPad- it tends to change words:(

Thanks everyone!

Gayla

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t worry about these at all. They are dysplastic nevi, “funny” looking moles that have no malignancy to them. Once you are diagnosed, we tend to go a bit overboard with biopsies, the doctors too. But it sounds like you have many moles and should have whole body photography to follow your skin. That is the best way too follow your skin for changes. Ask your doctor about whether they know of a program that provides this service. If not, we can help you find something. Have a great weekend.

GaylaB
    Participant

Catherine,

Would you go with the recommendation of wide excision or just let it be?

I really don’t care to be cut on unnecessarily ….

Still trying to bounce back from August WLE -SNB- then total lymph node dissection…

The doctor scheduled all these excisions for next week, I cancelled out until I learn further information.

Rushing into the total dissection, which was so unnecessary, has me very skeptical of everything.

I will be in therapy for lymphedema possibly forever because of the dissection…

That has me not so trusting of being rushed into things.

Thanks!

Gayla

GaylaB
    Participant

Also, I would love the photography.

I live in Georgia- do you know where to have this done?

Thanks

Gayla

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

It does sound like overkill to have reexcisions done. Can you get another opinion? What type of biopsy was done? Are you near Emory? They probably have some good experts and possibly the photography as well.

GaylaB
    Participant

I am near Emory, that is where my WLE , SNB and total dissection were done. I am NED , there was no node involvement although in the SNB there were micromets that couldn’t be determined whether melanoma or nevus, that is how I ended up with stage III staging. However, my oncologist now says I am actually stage II, but if course I cannot be re-staged so stage III is where I am.

I will call to see if Emory has the photography.

I just don’t want to be cut, especially on the leg that now has lymphedema, I am having such a difficult time with it already, that could make it much worse.

Thank you for the response!

Gayla

goldengirl2011
    Participant

I also live in Metro Atlanta area. I used DigitalDerm.com to get my pics done. They take them at Emory.

Good luck!

GaylaB
    Participant

Thanks for the info golden girl! I am certainly going to get in with this procedure.

Gayla

goldengirl2011
    Participant

I had a female photographer. It was easy & only took about 1/2 hour. No one else is in the room with you, and she made me feel very comfortable. I received 2 copies of my pictures on CD. I keep one at home to refer to, and my doctor has the other one. She uses it every time I go for checkups (every 3 months).

Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.