Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    odonoghue80
    Participant

Has anybody dealt with neuropathy successfully? I really never had any issues with this until about 2-3 months ago while on carbo/taxol chemotherapy. I seem to have two different types of neuropathy. One is that my right foot is always numb (as if my foot was asleep). However the main problem, I get these ‘pains’ if you can call them, it’s not true pain, but rather a pins and needles type of nuisance that is tough to pinpoint at (except it’s throughout my calves). It rarely bothers me during the day, but once I go to bed, or wakes me up during the night. It’s very annoying. I’ve been taking Lyrica for a while but it doesn’t seem to help. I have some Dilaudid to take at night once it flares up, but by that point it’s already ruined my night. Also I’m trying to get off narcotics unless truly needed. Any suggestions? My doc says this will reduce over time but I don’t know, I haven’t seen any improvement since been off chemo.

Thanks,

Shane

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I hear this a lot as a side effect and I know that Jonathan had issues from the ADC treatment. Here is something I found that may be helpful:

Protection and Safety against Peripheral Neuropathy:

Protect areas where sensation is decreased (example; do not walk around without foot wear). Wear thick socks and soft soled shoes.

Extreme temperature changes may worsen symptoms.

Wear warm clothing in cold weather. Protect feet and hands from extreme cold.

Use care when washing dishes or taking a bath or shower do not let the water get too hot.

Use potholders when cooking.

Use gloves when washing dishes, gardening.

Inspect skin for cuts, abrasions, burns daily, especially arms, legs, toes and fingers.

Comfort Measures:

Massage

Flexible splints

Lotions and creams

I would go with the massage, for your whole body and the neuropathy! And I agree about avoiding the narcotic like drugs. Tramadol may help, as well as tylenol and advil. Hope you get some rest!

mmmm
    Participant

I spoke with someone who was very happy with the results of participating in the Scrambler Therapy clinical trial at Mayo. He did not have melanoma. He had severe neuropathy as a result of chemotherapy (not sure which drugs, perhaps cisplatin) and was able to discontinue taking pain medication.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01347723” class=”bbcode_url”>https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01347723

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting MMMM, the Scrambler Therapy sounds very viable. I found a lot of positive info on it at the NIH site, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16012423.

I would like to know where you can go for this therapy?

odonoghue80
    Participant

Thanks for the responses and providing the links. I am going to ask my doctor about the scrambler therapy. Catherine, I have been basically using the same suggestions you posted. Also I am using an electric foot massager daily, but no avail.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.