Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II New Derm in LA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jenni
    Participant

Hi all,

So I saw a new derm in the LA area…..well, this is the second one I have seen since I moved in March. I am trying to establish my go to melanoma derm and this guy was much better than the first that I saw at UCLA. This derm is through USC and seems to know melanoma well.

The only complaint or worry I had was that he didn’t use the dermascope. How important are they or how much do they “help” spot melanoma?

Also, since seeing him, I have developed a thin red line through my WLE scar (not my first melanoma insitu scar but the second one that they did the same in case it was turning into insitu). It is on my upper left thigh and its a thin, deep red line, seems sorta like a blood vessel or something. My question is, would you guys go back and have this looked at? It came overnight I believe, after a long day at SeaWorld with my husband and daughter. I am 21 weeks now with twins and am thinking it is just the pressure of my large body that made it happen, but is that weird to happen in a scar?

Also, is there ANYONE else on here in the LA area that has a derm they love? Would love to know!

Been trying to keep up on the forum! Been busy here with the pregnancy and guests and all kinds of fun stuff!

Good for you Cohanja for the therapy, give it some time, it will help!

And for all you preggers ladies, I hope you are doing well!

Cheers,

Jenni

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Dermatoscopes are over-rated I think. Nothing can really be told about a lesion except from a biopsy for sure. So I wouldn’t be concerned. Bet you are growing big! We have a staff member due in October and we’re excited for her too. Do your own self exams an you should be in good shape.

cohanja
    Participant

I see a couple different derms, one uses a dermascope, the others don’t. I actually looked through it once and I have to say a pigmented lesion looks totally different through it. . ones I may be concerned about with the naked eye sometimes don’t look so bad through the scope as I think they look.

wpatterson4
    Participant

I have zero faith in the scope. The only three lesions my dermatologist ever removed because they looked funny through the dermatoscope were harmless congenital nevi. My melanoma, on the other hand, looked perfectly benign through the scope.

Jenni
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your replies. You are all right, both of my in situ removals were moles that I saw changing with my own eyes, no scope was needed. I guess I just felt like if they used some gadget it was helping :)

This guy seems to know what is up with melanoma and checked my scalp well, my mouth and eyes! SO, I guess I feel safe with him. Plus, with my pictures and my hawk like watch on my skin, I think I am doing alright :)

Happy Thursday everyone!

Jenni

Worrywart
    Participant

Hi Jenni! I occasionally get red lines in my WLE scar. I think its because the skin is stretched and so fragile/thin. They eventually go away. Sometimes I’ll poke them with a needle and then they temporarily go away but come back (i know, shouldn’t do that).

wpatterson4
    Participant

Heed her words, Jenni. The WLE scar is not static. Don’t stare too hard or too often at it. If you do, you might just end up with a deep shave on top of a relatively inconspicuous surgical scar. I look like I was shot with a .45 right on top of my WLE.

Jenni
    Participant

Worrywart/wpatterson4,

The red line is fading slowly away, must have been the pressure of my new heavier body walking around Seaworld all day :) Or who knows what. I didn’t call the derm, I watched and tried not to stress.

Thanks both of you,

Jenni

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.