Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II New diagnosed 1B from Canada looking for support

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    point30
    Participant

Catherine-

I received your book in the mail and wanted to say thank you. Your passion is very evident and I am sure you have helped so many battle melanoma over many years. You should be very proud of the network you have created. It is also is nice to hear success from stage 1 patients, including yourself.

I will keep you updated, and hopefully I am on track for a positive prognosis like you and Treefrog.

point30
    Participant

My latest excision is now over today. I also asked for a copy of the report which I have- and it also states a lot of additional items that I am not familiar with:

melanoma stage 1b

greatest dimension: 2cm (length)

ulceration: not identified

tumor thickness was 0.57

Anatomic level III [what does this mean?]

Mitotic Rate 2

Microsatelitosis: not identified

Another item was Tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes: present, brisk [what does this mean?]

Perineural invasion: not identified

and on and on……

Any comments? Any other item that would be relevant that I might have?

Hoping this might be it!

TreeFrog
    Participant

Hi point30,

Looks like a typical low-risk mel to me – nothing unusual in the report.

The “anatomic level III” looks like a reference to the old “Clark Level” – a measurement not much used anymore since the actual depth turned out to be much more important. Clark’s Level III meant that the lesion had reached the upper layer of the dermis, under the epidermis.

Tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes are the little guys in our blood that destroy tumors. Their presence means that your body had recognized the lesion as a threat and was doing something about it. They are usually present with melanomas. Their absence might suggest that the mel was able to “hide” from the immune system, which would not be a good thing! In some studies, a “brisk” (strong) response from the lymphocytes has been associated with less risk of recurrence.

Altogether a typical melanoma pathology report, and almost identical to mine. Nothing special in there to worry about. :)

Have a good week!

~Wendy

point30
    Participant

Thanks Wendy/Treefrog.

A lot of information here that hopefully helps anyone else with our superficial melanoma 1b cancer diagnosis in future (I spelled that out for search engines to find). Hopefully it’s onward and upward for all of us!

I am going to keep an eye on this forum too and keep connecting, like you :)

point30
    Participant

I am happy to announce that I just completed my 1 year follow-up with my oncologist and came back all clear! 4 more years of bi-annual checkups to go with oncologist (yearly checkups and constant observation thereafter although chances are my diagnosed melanoma not have spread!).

Feeling pretty good! :)

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Enjoy the feeling! Thanks for keeping in touch and we’re all rooting for your continued success.

point30
    Participant

I had my check up and two more spots removed, taking the normal 4 weeks until the results come in. Had a bit of post traumatic stress when the dermatologist called me at 4pm on Thursday saying they needed to see me at 7:30 the next day. The last time this happened was 4 years ago….

Fast forward, I arrived at 7:30am to know that it came back all clear and they had to adjust their schedule the following week. I let them know that while that was fine, perhaps they can think of the emotional state of patients and perhaps say this is the reason for making the switch rather then leading to presumptions. It brought me back to my initial diagnosis which was alot of fear.

Regardless, all clear 2 years after diagnosis. My 2 year removal anniversary is still in January. Time flies, and I wanted to keep my story running for newly diagnosed 1b patients such as myself. Next oncologist appt is in May!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Good news! Celebrate. Melanoma is one disease that can be scary even when it is low risk. I know from my own experience which I will celebrate 30 years from my .76 lesion. I always know how many years because I was pregnant with my son will turn 30 in June. It is something you never forget.

TreeFrog
    Participant

Congratulations, point30. Woot woot!

~Wendy :D

point30
    Participant

point30
    Participant

I’m past 2 years since my excision and it’s almost time for my May appointment. Fingers crossed that everything comes back clear……and hopefully a good story for all newly diagnosed stage 1b early detection survivors.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Let us know how things go!

point30
    Participant

My 2 year check up for my 1b diagnoses went well! Lymph nodes checked, no symptoms, site looks good, and all clear again. 2 out of 5 years complete!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Wonderful. Keep up the good work!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.