- This topic is empty.
March 27, 2013 at 10:56 pm #21139
Hey there guys all of your posts have been very helpful to me I finally figured out how to post my own lol My sister was just diagnosed with melanoma we are unsure of staging and such her reports reads as a 1.25 breslow thickness, clarks level 3, and mitonic rate of 2 and it was on her upper right inside thigh …. She had a slnb and reexcision done today would like to hear some other stories simular to this the doc she is seeing was a lot nicer today before surgery but he was not very helpful in the office the first day we saw him but of course we did not want to put this off so we went ahead with surgery …. would like any info on next step as well weather it is negative or postive because we really want to take the right route and make sure she is 100% taken care of properly !!! And we will take all the prayers you have to give
ThanksMarch 27, 2013 at 11:35 pm #59825washoegalParticipant
Sounds like so far you are doing all the the right things. Where is she being seen? If it is not a melanoma center make sure you sister gets to one. For an example of why this is always a good idea read Bunmom posts “misdiagnosis” under Stage 3. This site contains a list of melanoma centers.
The depth a mitotic rate are not overly concerning so hopefully she caught it before it had a chance to travel any further. For now all you can do is wait until the biopsy comes back. Waiting is probably the worse part.
If you or she wish to be prepared for positive (melanoma found) biopsy results, then I am sure Catherine and others will gladly discuss options.
Stage3March 28, 2013 at 12:22 am #59826
Thanks Mary I will def ck the misdiagnosed stuff out and we do not have any melanoma specialist in our town its small we were ref to the general surgeon but we are looking in the Tulsa area for futher treatment and info hoepfully we will find somebody good for follow up and second opinion as of right now she is self pay so that is another big issue but we are exploring diff options for that problem !! This was such a fast process it is all so overwhelming !! Thanks so much !April 2, 2013 at 9:47 am #59827kellybenjamnParticipantWorry wrote:
but we are looking in tow up and second opinion as of right now she is self pay so that is another big issue but we are exploring diff options for that problem
Looking for a second opinion is one good thing to do to have an assurance and somehow may give us more hope that it would be nothing or a negative one. Giving her love and support can help her dealing things very smoothly. There are a lot of things we can consider, though safety and health should be prioritized. Just be strong always.April 4, 2013 at 8:03 pm #59828
Hello there I am back with some questions my sisters node bx came back negative included IHC stains and step sectioning and the reexcision was negative for residual melanoma as well we followed up with the surgeon today who is now sending us to an oncologist in the area (we have no melanoma specialist/hospital from what I can find here in Oklahoma) …. He said her next step would be (because of her stage of melanoma) is to decide if she wants to go threw Interfearon treatments or not which would be her decision please advise for this situation ….. original path report was breslow 1.25 clarks level 3 superficial spreading …2cd path report was just reported all negative for melanoma basicly !!! Thanks for all the help and info we can get !!! 🙄April 4, 2013 at 8:56 pm #59829washoegalParticipant You can search the board and find a lot of information of Interferon. It is a controversial treatment. However, it is the only treatment currently available to your sister at her stage. The other option is simply close observation (“wait and watch”). Many people feel they just have to do SOMETHING. I stage 3a, after learning about interferon I chose the wait and watch option and I am still healthy 3 years later.
I don’t like to give my own opinions as to why or why not but make sure you get the the following information:
1. What percent of people does interferon actually help.
2. Does interferon actually change the odds of a reoccurrence?
3. Does it increase survival rate?
4. What are the side effects?
5. How long will I have to take it?
Then have you sister assess her own lifestyle and decide for herself. Once she has done this, support her and never look back!
- The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.