Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II new diagnosis trying not to freak out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    xena
    Participant

Hello everyone, yesterday I had the bad news that I have melanoma help me please with my path report,

Invasive malignamt melanoma

Thickness .74

Clarks level 4

Dm present, 2-3 per mm2

No ulceration

Thank you in advance

xena
    Participant

On my abdomen

cohanja
    Participant

Sorry you joined us. No ulceration is good. Did they say anything about whether they recommend sentinel lymph node biopsy or not?

xena
    Participant

No not yet I have appointments with suregeon, oncologist and derm next week they say stage one but I am scared

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Zena,

You are not alone, we’ve all been there, scared and anxious about what comes next. You have a fairly low risk lesion, below the usual .76 that requires a sentinel node biopsy (read about them on this site at:http://www.melanomainternational.org/melanoma_info/sentinel_node_biopsy.html )

The mitotic figure is what I think you meant as 2-3mm? I may have the numbers wrong, but that could mean the cells are dividing and a SLNB might be done for that reason in addition to your depth. Where are you going for treatment? do they see a lot of melanoma and have experienced docs? You might want a second opinion on your pathology slides to be sure of this. Just to hopefully make you feel better, my melanoma was a .76 vertical growth phase, mitotic of greater than 1, ulcerated too and that was 23 years ago. Try to educate yourself and go to the Newly Diagnosed section above for more tips. Let us know how things go for you or if you have further questions.

xena
    Participant

Hi thank you! I don’t know yet. I am in aspen co. I was just diagnosed and I have no insurance so…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.