Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II New In Situ/Superficial Spreading Melanoma on thigh

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jell
    Participant

I have had a dry spot on the back of my thigh for many years. The last couple of months it has changed colour and has grown to about 1.75cm wide. I saw my gp and he did a 3mm punch biopsy on it. The pathology came back as melanoma in-situ with possible superficial spreading pattern.

My dry spot has since grown out to 2cm and is spreading and is now also feeling alot thicker and harder to the touch. It is also throbbing at times.

I have an appointment to see a surgeon next week.

The pathology didn’t mention a thickness.

In your experience do you think my wide excision will be done under a local or general?

I am a bit nervous because the gp said they would go 1cm either side of the melanoma and then triple the length and then go down to the level covering the muscle.

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Are you from the UK or another country than the U.S.? It is probably a good thing that you are seeing another surgeon for the excision since a punch biopsy isn’t normally done except for facial excisions. I don’t know what the practices are for your area but normally a local anesthesia would be used in an in-office procedure. So the original pathology showed in-situ which would not normally dictate such a large surgery. Tell us a bit more.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.