Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II New law going into effect in Illinois on Jan. 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

TEEN TANNING:

Tanning facilities may not permit anyone less than 18 years of age to use tanning equipment, regardless of whether the person has permission of a parent or guardian.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Do you know who will enforce the law? That is the biggest downfall of these laws. The police are busy with much more “harmful” activities. We couldn’t get the support of the health dept in PA. And none of these salons are inspected for cleanliness hence the chance of spread of infections, yuck!

cohanja
    Participant

I don’t know for certain; but, I would suspect it would be similar to enforcing the laws about selling alcohol or tobacco to minors – the places of business have to check IDs, etc…. and sometimes perhaps the village police departments do spot-check sting operations to ensure compliance.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I hope so because normally the tanning salons hire teens to run their business and then of course they let their friends in without age I.D. The bigger issue may be in the unsupervised tanning beds on college campuses at local apartment complexes. The best solution is peer pressure like smoking, but we’ve still failed in that hazardous habit too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.