Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II New mole "pinkish red colored"

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gloria
    Participant

Last year I was diagnosed with stage 1 melanoma (superficial spreading). Ever since I pay very close attention to my skin and go for skin checks with my derm every 3 months. A month ago I noticed a small pinkish spot (1mm) on my chest. I thought maybe it was a pimple since sometimes I do break out on my chest. However, it hasn’t gone away and is now bigger and pinkish red. I’m certain it is not a pimple now. I’d say it is a 2mm X 4mm symmetrical oval shape. It is also all one color. It think it resembles more of a mole now. What gets me worried is earlier this summe,r I read an article about nodular melanoma that stated these melanomas can be pink, symmetrical and fast spreading. It was in a magazine so it didn’t have much detail. I also remember reading that it is always a concern if you get a new mole as an adult. I am 44 yrs old. I called my dermatologists office today and the soonest appointment she had was a month from now. I don’t want to stress about this and will feel very silly if it’s just a clogged pore or something. So in the meantime, I’m trying not to worry, but as many of you know, that is hard to do. Does anyone have any knowledge on this type of melanoma?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The only way to be sure is to have a biopsy done on the mole. Nodular isn’t necessarily “pink” either, but try not to think of the worst case scenario. Get it checked out so you can stop worrying. Let us know.

cohanja
    Participant

If someone’s had SSM, are they more at risk of getting that same type of melanoma again more so than another type such as nodular?

wpatterson4
    Participant

Any speculation at this point is futile. If you’re worried about it, have it removed and sent to a lab. Last month, I was absolutely certain that a pink mole on my arm was getting darker and enlarging – maybe it was. However, it wasn’t melanoma. I was quite relieved. The point is that you never can tell. Not even your dermatologist can be reasonably certain, on sight, that an iffy mole is or is not melanoma.

I get how you feel, though. My one and only melanoma (so far) was an SSM that looked totally benign. It might be embarrassing when the doctor gives you that look, but I think it’s better to be safe than sorry.

wpatterson4
    Participant

PS, some times you can get non-dermatologists to take care of mole removals. My ENT guy is a great all-around doctor who also happens to do plastic surgery. He’s removed two moles for me when my derm was unavailable and I was PANICKING. The price was about the same.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Catherine,

I didn’t even see your reply. Kind of makes mine look redundant. whoops.

Gloria
    Participant

I did make the appointment, I just wish it was sooner. I will ask about getting it sent to the lab. I will try not to worry about it in the meantime. Just writing about it and reading everyone’s replies helps calm me down.

Also, great question cohanja, I just assumed that if I got melanoma again, it would be SSM. But when I read about nodular, I wondered whether it was likely or unlikey to get this type too. Does anyone know?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.