Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV New to Zelboraf Treatment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LucyG
    Participant

Hi,

In 1971, I had a malignant melanoma mole on my back. It was removed and a skin graft was added to close the wound. The operation was sucessful and I lived a fantastic life without any medicines. In June 2012, I was informed (after 3 melanoma tumors were removed) that I have stage IV malignant melanoma. One of the tumors was above my right breast, one was my right lung and the third tumor was in the front of my brain. I started taking Zelboraf on August 19th. I am 58 years old, and started LTD from work, as I fight this disease. So far, aches and pains, rash that has disappeared after taking Claritin, and some tiredness. I am waiting to see what else happens while I am on Zelboraf. I live close to UVA and if Zelboraf doesn’t work, I plan to go into another treatment at UVA. I am fighting some minor side effects, rash that Claritin helps, aches and pains in my legs, but nothing I cannot live with, so far. I am 58 years old and put myself on long term disability, as I fight this disease. I appreciate all of the great information I read on this website, good and bad. Cheers to all who are fighting and care taking to all fighting Melanoma!

erinmay22
    Participant

Sorry to hear about stage iv. I’m right there with you. I have posted on my blog most of the side effects I dealt with while on Zelboraf (http://melanomaandthecity.blogspot.com/2012/06/boring-weekend.html).

I started with horrible rash from chin to toes. Had to be taken off for a week and then started on a lower dose. Then the worst parts were joint pain (traveling joint pain.. never know what will hurt that day), lost 1/2 my hair, eye lashes, eye brows, etc. Had ‘chicken skin’ – rough red bumps. They didn’t itch but just strange looking. sun sensitivity was the worst – especially dealing with it during the heat of the summer.

Best of luck! I hope it works for you! It wasn’t working well for me so I took my first dose of ipi this week.

Cheers,

Erin

LucyG
    Participant

Erin,

Thanks for your reply. I will check your blog. It’s good to hear what people are going thru on the medicine. Sorry, it wasn’t working for you. I am hoping I can stay on the meds, but, time will tell. Good luck to you on the new meds!

Best wishes, Sharon.

LucyG
    Participant

Hi,

About 2 months after my brain surgery, I started getting headaches and on the 5th day I woke up with Bells Palsy. I went into the hospital and several Neuro surgeons were sure it was Bells Palsy. They started me on steroids and after 6 weeks, my face is so much better. I had started taking Zelboraf around Sept 18, and while in the hospital, they found that Melanoma had started in my spleen. They took me off of Zelboraf, and I begin the ip2 clinical trial at University of Virginia Hospital under Geoffrey Weis on Dec.10, 2012. If anyone has any advice for me, please respond. I see ip1, but not much on ip2. Thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.