Home Forums For Caregivers Only New Tumor?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jillly
    Participant

Today the radiation oncologist called and they want Vern to come for an MRI next Thursday. He was looking at the PET scan from December and he saw something on his sternum. He consulted with another radiologist and he agreed that there was something there. It possibly could be arthritis (?) but he has never had an injury or any pain there. Of course he never had any pain in the other areas either, so who knows what is going on. I just know it is going to be a long six days. :(

Jill

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The waiting is always the hardest part! Hope things turn out for the best!

abdorma
    Participant

Hi Jilly,

So sorry to hear this news. The waiting is the worst part, I think. I am thinking your sleep may be interrupted until Thursday, but hang in there!

Do you look online on Mayo Clinic site on the patient account page? I was not aware you could actually see what the radiologist said about the PET scan until this past November. I have found that gives more information than what Tom’s oncologist sometimes tells us (both a negative and positive). For instance, this past trip, the radiologist mentions a lesion on his sternum and andrenol gland that the oncologist never mentioned (he had other lesions she did talk about). I don’t know if more information without conversation with the oncologist would be more stressful….

Just curious, does Vern have a “regular” oncologist and a radiation oncologist?

Ann

LAXMOM
    Participant

Jill,

Hoping for the best and that it is not a new tumor! Waiting is so hard. Hoping you can find some funny movies or visit with some friends to pass the time and bring some laughter for now.

Wendy

Jillly
    Participant

I look at his reports on the Mayo site all the time. I will have to look at the radiology one again to see if I missed something. He has an oncologist at Mayo, that we have seen from the beginning, and we just saw radiation oncologists at Mayo and in Grand Forks. And you all are right – the waiting is the worst. My mind is constantly going over every possible outcome. I was able to have a “girls day” today with my daughter, sisters, and niece. Felt guilty about leaving Vern alone but I think he enjoyed have the house to himself!

Jill

zephyr66
    Participant

jill,

ahhh, waiting is so hard! well, i vote for arthritis and hope you get through this next week without too much anxiety. hoping this all has nothing to do with melanoma.

sylvia

dkmc
    Participant

Princess Brides Inigo Montoya’s quote, and again use your best spanish accent

“I donna suppose you coulda speed things up?” & “I hate waiting” pretty much sums it up!

Hang in there!

Karen

abdorma
    Participant

Hi Jilly,

Hope you and Vern are making it through the week okay and no snowstorms appear in your path to Mayo this week.

I was curious about how they determine best course for Vern’s treatment when you have both an oncologist and radiologist oncologist; do they colloborate pretty well?

Let us know how you come out. Will be thinking of you!

Ann

Anonymous

A very good point Ann. They should work very closely together as they are both providing treatment. Rachel’s radiation and systemic oncologist knew each other for many years and worked as a team and communicated constantly. That gave us great confidence. However, we were in charge of the team.

Also, put everybody and their distant cousins on copy for scan results.

Jeff

Jillly
    Participant

Vern’s original oncologist was at the Altru Cancer Center in Grand Forks. He referred us to Mayo. We met with a radiation oncologist at Mayo and asked if the treatment could be done in Grand Forks. He said that if it was possible to go for it, so Vern called the Altru oncologist and he set up the appointment with the radiation oncologist in Grand Forks. Not too confusing, huh?! (Altru has partnered with Mayo so that makes it easier for them to refer and communicate.)I called the the rad oncologist at Mayo on Monday and told him that Vern was going to do the radiation in Grand Forks, and that they thought they found a mass on his sternum. He looked at the PET scans from June and December and he said it looked the same on both so it was doubtful that it is cancer. That made me breathe a bit easier; hopefully he is right and we will get good news tomorrow!

Jilly

Jillly
    Participant

What a day – it was mostly a big cluster you-know-what! After a miserable and painful MRI, due to positioning, we found out there is no mass on his sternum. Woot! Met with the oncologist at Altru – which was kind of weird because he really had nothing new to say. But he did refill Vern’s pain meds, so I guess it wasn’t a total waste. Then an appointment with the surgeon that turned out to not be an appointment. Long story short, apparently the radiation oncologist at Altru doesn’t understand proper protocol and thought that any old surgeon could follow Vern’s case. They don’t even do the two types of surgery that he had! Vern is pretty wiped out, but at least we don’t have to worry about a new tumor. :)

Jilly

abdorma
    Participant

Hey Jilly,

Great news about the sternum!!! And at least Vern is fully supplied for pain meds for awhile but what a long day with not a lot to show for it. Until your post about GrandForks oncology team, I thought you were driving to Rochester today so at least your road trip wasn’t so long.

Hopefully, Vern continues to heal up and there are no new anythings!

Tom has a “lesion” on his sternum now and he is starting to have pain in his chest after he shovelled snow on Monday. We go back next week and will be talking to the doc about that. Other than recovering from surgeries, he has never had any pain with this disease and I am sincerely hoping this is not the start of that.

Hope you guys have a good weekend with water!

ann

Jillly
    Participant

Uh oh – did this lesion just appear? I noticed that Vern has some new spots appear right next to one of his incisions. I imagine the radiation will take care of it. Let me know what you find out next week. Vern is very similar to Tom – he has had no pain either except for the surgeries. He has said that he felt great having cancer – it is the “cure” that is killing him! Have a great weekend – ours will be very quiet as the kids won’t be home until next weekend. We have no big plans to do anything either. Take care!

Jilly

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘For Caregivers Only’ is closed to new topics and replies.