- This topic is empty.
November 13, 2012 at 9:08 pm #20767ktfarnsParticipant
Hi, I just wanted to post a quick update on my situation. I posted a couple weeks ago that I am pregnant and found out I have melanoma, will be 37 weeks on Friday. I was diagnosed with 1.1 mm melanoma on my left arm. I had the WLE done almost 2 weeks ago, but since I am pregnant they are waiting to do the SLNB until after the baby is born. Today I met with the surgeon who is doing the SLNB procedure. She told me that I should have the procedure done within 6 weeks of the WLE. That would put it at Dec 10. Because my due date is Dec 7th she thinks that having me induced early would be the best option. That will give me a little time to recover from the birth and start to establish breast-feeding before having the SLNB. She called my obstetrician and he is okay with inducing me next week, which would put me at 38 weeks.
My question is, is the surgeon correct with this time frame of having the SLNB done within 6 weeks of the WLE? Does anybody know why it has to be within 6 weeks? Obviously I want what is best for the baby so before I go ahead and get induced at 38 weeks I want to make sure this is what’s best. I am not sure if I should get a second opinion for this. I have an appointment with my obstetrician on Friday and we will be scheduling the induction for sometime next week.November 14, 2012 at 10:58 am #57523AngelaMParticipant
I can’t comment on the timing of SLNB, but what I do know is that regarding your induction – the baby will be 100% by 38 weeks. The baby would not be premature. I had a planned c-section 10 days before my due date (basically 38 weeks) and my son was strong and healthy. The baby’s lungs are fully developed by 38 weeks and there should not be a problem if everything else is normal.November 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm #57524WorrywartParticipant Hi again,
I have never heard of a ‘timeframe’ that is critical for SNB, esp if you had clear margins with initial biopsy (i think you said you did). In general, the SNB should be performed at same time as WLE, but I understand your case is unique. How is your anxiety? Do you feel it would be helpful for you to have the baby a bit early and get the ball rolling on the SNB? The only problem I could foresee is that if you are induced early, and baby isn’t ready, you may end up having a c-section. Two surgeries close together would not be ideal. Personally, if you are fine with waiting, I see no reason why you can’t give the baby a chance to come out when he/she is ready. I’ll wait to see what Catherine says, but I have never heard 6 weeks as a ‘magic time frame’.November 15, 2012 at 8:32 pm #57525Catherine PooleKeymaster
What I have always read is that you should try to have the SLNB at the same time as the wide excision. But many folks for different reasons have the SLNB at a later time. I’m not one to fool with mother nature unless you have to and would think waiting for your baby to come naturally doesn’t interfere with the results of the SLNB. I will see if any of my experts know differently and post it here.November 15, 2012 at 9:40 pm #57526Catherine PooleKeymaster I feel most fortunate to hear back from a world renowned oncology surgeon (and melanoma specialist) who said there is NO timeframe for SLNB, that you can clearly carry your baby to fullterm without worry. Wishing you a short labor and easy delivery!
- The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.