Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Newly Diagnosed – Recommendation for Philadelphia area doc?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lisa504
    Participant

Hi, I’m 37 yrs old and newly diagnosed with melanoma in situ. I’m new to the Philadelphia area and would welcome any recommendations for Philadelphia area doctors since I will need surgery. Thank you.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa,

The Pigmented Lesion Clinic has many fine doctors, all specialties revolving around melanoma. However, they are very busy and an appt may be far in the future. I really like the doctors at Penn Medicine at Radnor and also now at Valley Forge. What are do you live in? Plymouth Meeting has Dr. Jonathan Wolfe who is excellent too.

Lisa504
    Participant

Thanks so much for your reply, Catherine! I’m in Delaware County. I just had my first child and am breastfeeding. A parent and grandparent also had melanoma. I’m hoping to find a doctor or perhaps two separate docs who can not only perform the surgery but help answer my questions about a genetic component and possible subsequent pregnancies and whether I’m ok to continue breastfeeding. I had a prior basal cell so was seeing a derm for full body scans every six months. But this caught me off guard especially since I haven’t had anything biopsied since 2005 and also because I’m only a few weeks post partum. How quickly do people with stage zero schedule surgery?

Mike19342
    Participant

Hi Lisa:

I am in delco as well. I see Dr Chan at Dermatology LTD in Chadds Ford. Great guy excellent background with melanoma. I had an in-situ in 2010 diagnosed by Dr Hess/ Dr Altman in Media Pa. They are also good.

dermatologyltd.com for Dr. Cahn and aesthetic dermatology associates in media/riddle hospital office Dr. Altman. I just saw Dr Chan today for my normal 4 month check up he is an excellent resource.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Be sure to look for a derm that doesn’t specialize in cosmetic derm. The many facilities of UPENN dermatology are great, Radnor, Valley Forge and then the Pigmented Lesion Clinic that does study families. I was assured that breastfeeding was just fine after having melanoma, there is no hormonal connection. You could also come and meet some wonderful dermatologists who volunteer at our annual event, http://melanomainternational.org/event/2014/04/safe-from-the-sun-and-5k-run/

We have the best community minded derms who come and do a free screening that day, April 27th and I would love to meet you and others in the area. The screening is free and open to the public. The park is beautiful with loads of playgrounds, and 90 acres to wander around on!

PS less than 4% of the population have a genetic connection to melanoma. It is more likely a family connection to red hair, pale skin, and lots of time spent at the shore.

Worrywart
    Participant

I am from Colorado, so not sure about Doc recommendations – but I just wanted to welcome you to MIF and tell you that you will be in my thoughts. I was also dx with melanoma in situ shortly after the birth of a child (i was 34). I also had a family history. I am now almost 40 and that baby is 6.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.