- This topic is empty.
August 14, 2013 at 3:55 pm #21520
Hi, I am a 66 year old admitted sun worshiper who is now paying the price with this new diagnosis. I won’t know for sure if I have stage 2 until after the surgery according to my primary doctor. I have not seen the biopsy results yet (biopsy was 7/16/13). My doctor is trying to set up a plastic surgeon to operate at the local hospital. After reading over many of the forum posts, I think I will be better off going to a melanoma clinic. There is one at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. I live about 30 minutes away, so it’s not much of a bother to get there. I would have a whole team including a dermatologist to check my body (I don’t have one now). I can go where ever I choose with my insurance, so why not the best? What do you think?
Also, I’ve lived in fear for a month already. Now I’m even more terrified but trying to stay calm. If I can’t get an appointment soon in the clinic, should I wait? I just want this out of my body!!! I’d be less anxious knowing it was a stage 1, I think.August 14, 2013 at 6:21 pm #62146cohanjaParticipant
Hello. Do you have your pathology report? Stage I goes up to 2mm. Stage IA goes from 0 to 1mm and no mitosis. Stage IB goes from 0 to 2mm with several criteria.August 14, 2013 at 9:34 pm #62147 No, I haven’t seen my report. My PCP has it and all she told me was what I wrote above.August 14, 2013 at 10:06 pm #62148Webbie73Participant One thing, get your pathology report from your PCP. That will help with some of your questions. You mentioned a plastic surgeon is that because the melanoma is on your face? You can’t go wrong with Dana-Farber. You will want to know the depth of the melanoma to help you make some decisions. good luck and let us know what you decide.August 14, 2013 at 11:06 pm #62149 Yes, it is on my face on my right cheek. There’s not much area going down. I’m wondering if they think it might have spread. There’s so much I don’t know. I will speak to my PCP tomorrow and get the report from her. I agree that I can’t go wrong with the Dana Farber. I just wish they would call me back! I don’t want to be a pest and call again.August 15, 2013 at 8:33 pm #62150Catherine PooleKeymaster You need to get your report and at least call your PCP and ask what the depth (Breslow level) was. That will give you enough to go on. Have they mentioned Sentinel Node Biopsy? We can help guide you once we know more about your pathology. A plastic surgeon is a good idea for cosmetically sensitive areas. We are here to help you!August 15, 2013 at 9:10 pm #62151WorrywartParticipant 1. Go to your PCP office and ask the front desk for a copy of your pathology report. Then we will be able to help you out! Personally, I’d get in the car now and go get it. PCPs oftentimes know little to nothing about melanoma.August 16, 2013 at 11:48 pm #62152 Thank you, Catherine, for your advice. I did not see it until today and my PCP wasn’t working this Friday. I will get in on Monday. I did get a call from the Dana Farber and am waiting for a second call to set up a consultation visit. My PCP faxed my report to them last Thursday. The waiting is the hardest, and being August many doctors seem to be on vacation. I doubt if I’ll hear from them over the weekend, but I can hope! I will check back here on Monday with an update and my report. Thanks again for being so supportive.August 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm #62153Catherine PooleKeymaster We’re here to help you. Let us know when you get your pathology report and post it here.
- The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.