Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Next steps now for stage IV

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Linda G
    Participant

Hello linda mg

See my post about the Merck mk-3475 drug. I may be confused but I thought it was Anti PD 1. I am new at this and still overwhelmed. They just opened up a compassionate care program giving access to the drug through their expanded Access Program which just started on Monday March 10. Hope this helps

lindamg
    Participant

Linda,

Yes, we’ve thought about this and it is certainly good news that this anti-PD-1 drug is available.

However, since the ADC drug is working for Steve, we will stay with that. It would be a difficult decision to leave a drug that is working even for an anti-PD1 drug which may or may not work. Of course part of the difficulty is that the Merck drug offers a possibility of a more complete response which the ADC drug probably cannot provide. Eventually we will have to consider what to do, but hope for now to continue to see his tumors shrink with the ADC trial at Sarah Cannon.

I hope you are able to find the best choice for your husband – hopefully the Merck anti-PD1 can be successful for you. A great potential combination for the future (in addition to some of the other combos being tested) would be an ADC drug plus anti-PD-1.

Linda (lindamg)

Linda G
    Participant

What exactly is an ADC drug. I am not familiar with this. I am also confused as to why he would have to wait for Yervoy to fail before he could get the anti PD 1 drug. I thought the promise in the treatment results was with the Yervoy in Conjunction with PD1. My husband starts radiation on his sinus and face on Monday for 4 weeks, 5 days each week since they were not able to remove all if the tumor. I have no idea what to expect with this. Can anyone offer any insight?

lindamg
    Participant

The ADC drug and the associated clinical trial is described earlier in this thread, plus Jonathan has posted a lot of helpful information about it along with his own experiences. Try searching here for ADC.

This Antibody Drug Conjugate (there are others – one has been approved a certain type of breast cancer) is a targeted chemo drug in that it contains a few molecules of a very potent chemo attached to other drug molecules that seek out receptors that are often over-expressed on melanoma tumor cells (not always, I believe) and then delivers the very effective chemo inside these cells. There is still some leakage to the rest of the body however and thus the side effects which have been described.

I would say that the reason that anyone would have to wait for Yervoy (ipilimumab) and/or BRAF drugs to fail to get the expanded access anti-PD-1 drug, still only available thought a clinical trial protocol, is that approved melanoma treatments have to be tried first before this unapproved drug could be tried.

My husband Steve doesn’t have to wait for anything else to fail (he already had ipi a few months ago) to ask for access to this anti-PD-1, but we choose not to do that yet. It doesn’t make sense to leave a drug (the ADC) that is working for one that may not work, even the anti-PD-1. And, once leaving the ADC clinical trial to try another drug, he would not be able to reenter it.

My suggestion regarding your question on your husband’s tumors on his face and treatment would be to start a new threat with that topic where I think you would be more likely to get some answers. I have no experience with that – I hope you can find someone who has on this board.

Linda (lindamg)

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.