Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Nodula Melanoma – questions.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ruth
    Participant

I have just found your site. I am anticipating seeing a medical oncologist in a couple of days.

I had a nodule melanoma on my back excised in June, I understand it was stage 11, between 2.01-4mm, no ulceration. Another surgery then went wider and deeper around the primary site and also included 2 sentinel lymph nodes. One was clear, the second was positive with a maximum dimension of tumour deposit 2.5mm. Then further surgery at the beginning of October took out adjacent lymph nodes, likely 14 – 20. Biopsies showed no cancer cells. Good news!

I will see a medical oncologist on Wednesday, and later that day the surgeon. I understand the options can be chemo or trial meds or no intervention. I can wait but find myself wanting to be more prepared, these appointments are over so quickly and so much hangs on them. Are there specific questions I need to be thinking through at this stage? Thanks.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Hi Ruth,

Welcome to our forum. I think you mean you have Nodular Melanoma. With one node involved you would be stage III. You are correct we don’t have many options for stage III. One that is worth looking into is the Mage A3 therapy. I know it is at University of Va. right now but where are you from? There is also an IPI (Yervoy) vs. Interferon trial you might check out. We all are pretty disappointed with interferon’s overall survival statistics and its harsh side effects though. You might move your post to our stage III section and post there too. Let us know the options you’ve been presented with and we can help.

Ruth
    Participant

Thanks Catherine. Yes, I have nodular melanoma stage 111 A. so have now posted in that section. I have lived for 20 yrs in Winnipeg, originally English, married a Canadian.

I did see the medical oncologist today. For Mage A3, he said I would not be eligible as it was used with people who are more advanced. I understood him to say that they had just completed a trial here. I am unsure now amongst all the information what he did say about IPI (Yervoy) vs Interferon trail, he indicated it was not open anyway.

He offered Interferon but I sensed with little enthusiasm and much reality about the side effects, saying there is an average of 50% drop out here. I am seeing little to recommend it given the side effects and it’s effectiveness.

He then spoke about Vemurafenib or ZELBORAF. It is very likely I would be eligible for a trial if I say no to Interferon. So I am presently reading up on that. If anyone has any experience of Vemurafenib I would be grateful to hear more, or indeed of being part of a trial….this is new too. It seems more promising even if I end up in the control group which is what I presume can happen.

Thanks, this is really helpful just to know this exists and know others are out there too.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

We have a board member originally from Winipeg. Vermura is known now as Zelboraf. I don’t know of any stage III trials but will look into it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.