Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Nodular Melanoma Concern/Referral time?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #21911

    Dear All,

    I do not have a Melanoma diagnosis and I hope I am not breaching etiquette by posting on your boards.

    Last week, I found a little raised lump on my skin – just above my waist line on my tummy. It bled that night and the night after. It was only about 1mm – purple black in colour. I went to the doctor (GP), who immediately dismissed it as a blood blister and asked me to come back in two weeks – not pigmented, so not concerned apparently. It hasn’t grown massively, yet I would say it was around 1mm diameter and is now around 3mm or so.

    I asked for a second opinion and this doctor agreed that an urgent referral (uk) was reasonable. I noticed the spot one week ago, but not sure how long it has been there. My appointment with the dermatologist is in 10 days time. That’s three weeks from discovery to appointment. I have a 4 week old baby at home and I am at my wits end. My particular concern is that it could have spread exponentially in this time. They cannot find me an earlier appointment.

    Is 3 weeks from discovery a serious risk of spreading?

    Here is my dilemma – I can have a private appointment this week for a consultation only, but I would lose my place with the other appointment and have to reattend the private hospital to have any treatment. If I wait for my appointment in 10 days, they will take action there and then, if necessary. I really don’t know what to do.

    Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

    Also, if you can think of any questions I should ask, I would be eternally grateful.

    Kind Regards,


    P.S. Needless to say, I have read about the invasive nature of this disease. Best wishes to you all.


    I AM JUST A PATIENT!! Not a doctor, not an expert.

    My dermo told me in 2000 (my first diagnosis) that it was important for me to be checked every six months because if a melanoma started developing the very day after he checked me, that five months and 29 days later, he would still be able to “cut it out”.

    I had Stage 1b diagnosed in Feb 2014 and removed in March. Unfortunately, the margins were not clear so surgeon had to go back in. My husband and I had a 10 day trip to Germany planned to see our daughter. I had travel insurance and was willing to cancel it to get the second surgery but my doc insisted that was not necessary and he could operate when we got back. I actually went a full month between the first excision and the second one (waiting for path report saying it was still in margins, going on our trip, getting back into surgeon’s schedule, just worked out that way).

    So I would love to hear what others have to say, but in my experience, you are well within safe guidelines to wait a couple weeks.

    But again: I AM NOT AN EXPERT :-)

    Best of luck, waiting is the hardest part!!!

    Hugs Joanie


    Hi Tom. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. When I was diagnosed with nodular melanoma I wanted it out of my body as quickly as possible. I had a WLE and SLNB 3 days after my diagnosis.

    I am not a dr and not an expert. I do know that nodular melanoma grows quickly and vertically but I have no idea if 3 weeks would make a difference.

    You seem to be in a tough spot with your insurance requirements. I think Catherine will be able to answer your question but in the meantime please know that there are people here thinking about you and hoping that when you do get it removed that it is not melanoma.

    Take care.


    Hi! Sorry you are so concerned, I remember so clearly the anxiety between my realisation that something was wrong and the diagnosis. I had a stage 1a Ssm removed 2 and a half years ago in the UK. I went to a mole clinic expecting to be told all was ok and not to worry and the dr there instantly referred me to a dermatologist. It was a Saturday afternoon and I just couldn’t wait so I called a private health provider and saw a melanoma specialist on the Tues morning. The mel was removed on the Thursday and I got the biopsy results the next week. For me the cost was ab worth it, I am not a very patient type !

    I do not know if the 3 weeks would make a difference to the melanoma, if that’s what it is , but 3 weeks delay would have been bad for my mind.

    Are you sure that if you pay for the consultation you will have to have your treatment privately too? I would have thought, even given our creaky NHS that a nodular melanoma would be treated as an emergency? My consultant works both privately and in the NHS. I am based near Bristol in the uk if you want any details.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.