Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II not sure what to make of this

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant
    wpatterson4
    Participant

Cohanja,

I wouldn’t get worried. After all, I’m sure that a significant portion of patients undergoing SNB are probably stage 2. I don’t know as much about stage 2 as I do about stage 1, but I would imagine that it’s much easier for a stage 2 to spread via the bloodstream, bypassing the sentinel lymph node route altogether.

Maybe SNB is a much better prognostic tool for stage 1 patients.

Just my non-expert opinion, open to correction.

chas66
    Participant

If I read the statement correctly, this is better than my understanding. I am Stage 2B, Breslow 4.5, no ulceration and clear lymph node on the SLN biopsy. There is no guarantee that clear lymphs mean no recurrence. I see the oncologist every 3 months. He said if I’m free for 2 years than my odds of survival go up. But if I’m clear after 2 years, the only change after 2 years is that I might go to him every 4 or 6 months for followup. What I got out out of the article is to maintain appropriate followups even if LN are clear but always be aware that recurrence is very possible.

I believe in the SLN. 10 years ago, they would have taken all of the lymph nodes in my groin. Now I’m only missing one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.