Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III not sure what to think…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    charissa1969
    Participant

Hi, everyone.

I went for my 6 month scans (PET and MRI) to follow up after an August 2013 diagnosis on my left calf, WLE, and CLND. My doctor called today and said that the MRI was within normal limits but that the radiologist wanted me to have another with contrast (the one I had done on Friday was without contrast). Is this just precautionary or could it indicate an issue? My GP wasn’t sure. Any information would sure be appreciated. Thank you.

Charissa

Linny
    Participant

It’s hard to determine what that means.

But it sounds like they are being cautious and want to get a better look at whatever they saw. And that’s a good thing.

Occasionally “things” show up during scans. From my own experience, I had an abnormality show up near my surgical site after a CAT scan and my oncologist could not say with 100% certainty that it was scar tissue. He scheduled me for an ultrasound and fine needle biopsy so they can get a better look at the abnormality. Turned out it was a bulging blood vessel as a result of the LND that I’d had. No fine needle biopsy was even necessary.

Something to keep in the back of your mind is that you’re still healing internally from your surgery so it’s possible it could be related to that. But you won’t know for certain until the results are in.

These abnormalities don’t have to be melanoma. The reason why we are on routine scan schedules is to catch these things so that if they end up being melanoma, they can be addressed early.

That’s what my rational brain tells me.

It’s still stressful, though.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Absolutely stressful, and trying to figure out what they are thinking is really a challenge. Try not to worry and you will find out soon enough. Mindful meditation is great for these situations. Take care.

charissa1969
    Participant

Thank you, Linny and Catherine, for your kind encouragement. I’ve done a fair job of putting it out of my mind for the moment; it just seems like it takes forever to get these things scheduled. I’ll post again when I know more.

Annieo
    Participant

Best of luck Charissa. I hope all goes well for you.

Anne

charissa1969
    Participant

Just wanted to let you know that my follow-up MRI came back clean so I guess my lease in NEDland is extended for a bit. I appreciate all the encouragement while I was waiting. Thank you for your kind note, Anne. I think of you every day.

Charissa

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Good News! Thanks for sharing with us.

Linny
    Participant

Doing the happy dance for you! Congrats!!!

[img]http://omitlimitation.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/happydance.gif[/img]

Annieo
    Participant

Thanks Charissa,

It’s awful to have to always prepare yourself for the reality of possible bad news … I can imagine how elated you must be feeling now though !- you must feel so happy and cheerful !!! Go enjoy the peace of mind you have been given. It sure is a blessing :)

Best wishes,

Anne

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.