Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Novartis MEK/Braf Inhibitor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nznz
    Participant

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum or if I post in the other but I wanted to post about my experience on the Novartis MEK/Braf Inhibitor drugs.

Quick backstory – diagnosed in August 2013, staged at 3C, removed lymph nodes, at that point was NED, qualified for only the Yervoy/Interferon trial, got Interferon arm, took it for 3wks and had several cutaneous melanomas pop up, so then they put me on Yervoy and the disease continued to spread and grow, at April appointment it had spread to spine and one spot in lung so now I assume I’m stage IV but no one has officially told me that me that yet. They say the spots are very small but they are there.

So I’m on my 2nd cycle of the Novartis MEK/Braf Inhibitor (LEE and LGX drugs) and I can see that the cutaneous melanomas have shrunk and aren’t nodular anymore. I had a scan yesterday and will find out if other mets have shrunk but at I can see from the outside that I’m responding to the drugs. I have had few side effects, just major hand and foot syndrome but very manageable. For me, this drug course is basically a stop gap until the PD1 becomes available but so far so good or if I keep responding then they will keep me on it.

I know there is another BRAF/MEK inhibitor drug out there (can’t remember the company) but this one is Novartis and when researching here and other forums I didn’t see much information on it.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

That is a very promising braf/mek drug and the trials have been small so you mostly hear about the other one (GSK) also the GSK was approved by the FDA so it is out of trial now. But sounds like you are doing very well and I hope it continues for you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.