• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Worrywart
    Participant

Catherine – please educate us on Obamacare. It still appears to be quite expensive. Can we start a discussion?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Well I think the expensive part is coming from the insurance industry. When they could previously exclude those with preexisting conditions (like melanoma) the are trying to get their profit margin up now to cushion any drop from expansion to the uninsured as well. I know that it is really called the Affordable Care Act and wasn’t created by the president and that it is a hard row to hoe with all of the interest groups lobbying against it, such as the insurance industry and hospitals and the profit making medical community (and the Tea Party folks). I think shutting down the govt at the tune of billions of dollars lost to the citizens is not the answer and can only hope we get some better folks into our govt to work together.

The U.S. has one of the worst infant mortality rates in the world and that we should be ashamed of. Prevention by good, free, prenatal care to everyone is the answer. We all need to work together on this and other deficient areas of our healthcare. I was thinking what our govt officials get as their health benefits and they are tops, even when they are out of office, they’re covered for the best care ever. Many of them are wealthy too and there is just no fairness in our health care system. You can also see my blog which discusses how this was supposed to work:

http://melanomainternational.org/2013/10/affordable-care-will-it-ever-come-to-be/#.Um0_CfXD_Z4

Linny
    Participant

I think that for those who have been refused insurance, are able to get Obamacare, and who qualify for the tax subsidy are going to make out well.

But those who do not qualify for the subsidy and who lose their insurance coverage because it didn’t meet Obamacare standards will get screwed because they will end up paying more in monthly premiums and deductibles. Some people have reported deductibles of over $10,000 for just a single person with Obamacare. With that kind of deductible, why even bother with insurance?

I don’t know what’s going to happen to mine. I have a policy through work plus a personal policy that I use to supplement that. So far I haven’t been dropped from either policy, though the premium for my personal policy just went up over $100/month. Just out of curiosity I went to the Healthcare.gov web site and used their calculator to get an estimate of what my costs might be if I were to purchase a policy on an exchange. A Silver plan would cost me more for premiums and deductibles than both of my current policies combined. 😮 That’s hardly affordable and with a melanoma diagnosis, it scares the you-know-what out of me.

I just think we deserve a better plan than something that “has to be passed before we know what’s in it”.

Thandster
    Participant

With all due respect Catherine, it is not the insurance companies fault obamacare is expensive and it certainly has NOTHING to do with the Tea Party. The law mandates MORE coverage for MORE people. Of COURSE it is going to cost MORE. Any suggestion that it won’t is either blind faith in the incompetent or a lie. It is mathmatically impossible for it to cost less.

Absolutely NO disrespect intended. I truly appreciate everything you do for the melanoma community, but I strongly disagree with you about Obamacare

Thandster

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I think calling the Affordable Care Act Obamacare is disrespectful. This was a plan developed at least 4 years ago by many employees of the govt. which we all knew would go into effect this year/and next year. There was plenty of time to review the contents by the opposition and make changes. It is way more complicated than any of us could comprehend Thandster and I think you oversimplify the ramifications. It cost ALL of us 24 Billion dollars for the govt. shutdown which was no more than a temper tamptrum by the Tea Party/far right legislators who are very comfortable with their health care coverage but don’t want to share this privilege with the citizens.

Look carefully at who profits from health care coverage in U.S. This world is all about money and who gets the most. So instead of shutting down the govt why don’t we get the legislators who are paid handsomely and have the coverage we’d all dream of having to go to work and make the plan work better!

Thandster you are so fortunate to be able to pay for two plans. Many folks call me daily who have no coverage and melanoma. They can’t even afford the biopsy to get a melanoma removed much less treatment for stage IV. Why should access to care depend on your wealth?

msue5
    Participant

The only people I have talked to who are against Obanacare have insurance. Don’t people know that we are already paying for the uninsured in Dr’s fees and the outrageous fees from. tests,medication. I am currently fighting a $54,000 fee for my 1st Yervoy dose on 4/22 that the Dr’s office ordered from an outside source instead of my mail order pharmacy. When it was approved by insurance there was no mention of having to use my mail order co. I know they will end up paying but imagine having no way to pay for that. Eventually you would have your pay garnished and ruin your credit.The hospital has been patient but recently asked would I like to set up a payment plan. I also have $ 80,000 of expired Zelboraf in my house when my mail order pharmacy insisted on sending a 3 mos supply even though I told them I might have to go off of it and please send just 1 month supply. Who do you think is paying for that. I know the system is broken and Obamacare has many flaws but we all deserve the same care. I was a nurse and watched uninsured patients get completely different care and be discharged sooner than insured patients.

Mary Sue

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Our system also has to pay for late detection of disease since folks aren’t getting primary care to spot disease early. Many resort to the ER ($2000 to walk in the door) and don’t have the money to pay for that. So much wrong with the current system that it will take an enormous effort to fix the old system. I simply feel that access to good, quality of care should be available to all. We’ve seen the flaws of socialized medicine in Europe but also the benefits. There needs to be some smart folks to correct our system, where is Bill Gates when you need him?

Celeste Morris
    Participant

Each and every one of us with melanoma need to be incredibly grateful for the Affordable Care Act in forcing insurance companies to accept people with “pre-existing conditions” on their plans. And folks…melanoma is one whopping pre-existing! Because of this act…none of us can be denied the right to purchase insurance. It is best to view the real data about what plans cost through this new market place rather than just allowing the folks at FOX to frighten you. The real truth is that some plans will cost a little more and some will be less. I have already gone through the system and have been able to sign up for a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan comparable in price and services to the one I was on through my husband’s work. (I needed to find my own coverage as he was going to be retiring.) You can find all sorts of plans by all of the “name brand” insurance companies. You can pick high or low premium plans. You can pick plans with high or low deductibles….just as you would if you went shopping for insurance at any of the insurance sites or through your own workplace. For me, the Affordable Care Act is not “giving” me anything. I am paying for my plan myself as my income doesn’t qualify me for assistance. And, that’s fine. I firmly believe that it is far better that my tax dollars help those in need gain insurance that allows them to have preventive care, timely evaluations, and avoid turning up in the EXPENSIVE ER once their illness has reached the point of misery for them and a gigantic bill for the rest of us. “Obama Care” isn’t taking anything from you. You can pick the plan YOU want for the amount YOU want to pay. And isn’t helping out those in need what Jesus would have all of us do when we have the chance? Check it out for yourself before you simply repeat what the talking heads would have you believe. You have options. When living with melanoma…that has certainly not always been the case. Celeste

Linny
    Participant

I’m happy you were able to get yourself insured at a rate that pleased you.

My understanding is that the number of choices you’re given on these exchanges depends on where you live. If you live in a highly populated area you will have more plans to choose from than if you live in a more remote area. The rates will also differ from area to area.

When I ran my information through their estimator, their Silver Plan would cost me more than both of my current policies combined. So for me, the “Affordable” Care Act is not affordable at all since I do not qualify for a subsidy. There are real people out there who are seeing their monthly premium rates double and triple as a result of all the new mandates. The main thing that’s going on is that they are being forced into high premium/low deductible plans over their former lower premium/high deductible plans. And this is putting a huge dent into monthly budgets for people. When your monthly insurance premium starts looking more like a mortgage payment, then that’s going to make for a problem.

So in making health insurance available and affordable for some, we are making it less affordable for others, depending on where they live. And that’s just as bad as denying someone insurance coverage due to a pre-existing condition.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I heard from a melanoma patient yesterday who was thrilled at the plan she was able to get. She is low income, considered pre-existing condition and found a comprehensive plan with dental and psychological coverage! She is able to write off the cost of her premium from her income tax. I think you have to be diligent to find the right plan, but the new system is working for many!

zephyr66
    Participant

I wanted an insurance overhaul, but not a forced one that is government run. Forcing people to obtain insurance and enforcing taxes (fines) on those who don’t want them goes against the grain of our country. I looked on the government site and for me to get a much inferior plan to what I already purchase independently will cost me much more than I have been paying. It’s not affordable to me. I simply disagree with the direction the country has turned. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

Sylvia

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I think it was a “forced” plan because business wasn’t covering insurance plans for employees. As a matter of fact the owners of Red Lobster and other chain restaurants put their employees at part time to avoid covering health insurance.

I know this is not a plan to pleases all, but it is an effort to cover those who fall into the crevice of not being poor enough to get Medicaid and have no coverage at all. I have dozens of phone calls from these folks everyday and it is heartbreaking.

zephyr66
    Participant

yes, many business will not cover employees because they can’t afford it. as a business owner myself, the taxation and regulation is enormous. some people think because you own a business you must be well off or that they “should” cover their employees – a lot of entitlement. business owners are the ones that take the risk with their capital and time. and, even with forced health coverage, fees will still get passed on and the middle class will be the ones that suffer. i’m sorry i get outraged at this topic. nothing personal and we can all agree to disagree and still fight the melanoma battle on the same team.

sylvia

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

yes, we can agree to disagree, and I’ve not had an update from you in a long time. How is everything going?

Linny
    Participant

If you are purchasing your insurance on one of the exchanges, you are going to want to make sure that the melanoma center where you’re going for treatment accepts that particular insurance. Most of the top hospitals mentioned in the article below will accept only one or two of the offerings on their state’s exchanges.

For example:

Quote:

…fourth-ranked Cleveland Clinic accepts dozens of insurance plans if you buy one on your own. But go through Obamacare and you have just one choice: Medical Mutual of Ohio.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/hospital-of-tomorrow/articles/2013/10/30/top-hospitals-opt-out-of-obamacare” class=”bbcode_url”>http://health.usnews.com/health-news/hospital-of-tomorrow/articles/2013/10/30/top-hospitals-opt-out-of-obamacare

So if you need to purchase your insurance from an exchange, check with your treatment facility to see which of those insurances they accept.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.