• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

That is true before the Affordable Care Act, always check up front what he institution requires for insurance, some are not all inclusive. You are safest with the large state affiliated medical centers normally such as UCLA, UCSF etc.

Linny
    Participant

That’s what the article was talking about, the major hospitals. So you are not necessarily safe even with them. For example, UCLA will only take Anthem Blue Cross and Health Net and UCSF will only take Anthem Blue Cross from the state exchanges.

I just really hate to see someone who FINALLY gets insurance not be able to go to a place like UCSF because they did not purchase Anthem Blue Cross. Or worse yet, go there and not be aware that they are out of network until they receive the bill.

The only two on that list referenced in the article from US News & World Report that will accept all exchange offerings are Johns Hopkins and Massachusetts General.

Rank* Hospital Insurance Accepted**

1 Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore All insurance companies, per state law

2 Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston All insurance companies, per state law

3 Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Blue Cross (silver plan only)

4 Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio Medical Mutual of Ohio

5 UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles Anthem Blue Cross, Health Net

6 Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago Land of Lincoln, Blue Cross

7 New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell UnitedHealthCare, EmblemHealth, Aetna

8 UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco Anthem Blue Cross

9 Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston All insurance companies, per state law

10 University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, UPMC Health Plan, Health America

11 Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Aetna Independence, Blue Cross

12 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C. Coventry Health Care, Blue Cross

13 Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles Health Net

14 NYU Langone Medical Center, New York UnitedHealthCare, Affinity Health System, Fidelis Care

15 Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis Coventry Health Care

16 Indiana University Health Academic Health Center, Indianapolis MDWise

17 Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia Independence Blue Cross, Aetna

18 University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland Anthem Blue Cross, HealthSpan, SummaCare, SuperMed

dkmc
    Participant

I have to reply also. I have a son with migraines. Mild migraines(we are not even talking cancer here) and since he can not get insurance through work he has one of those “crap” plans, which is all he could afford. We could NOT wait to get insurance through the exchanges. I want to scream to Congress MAKE IT WORK! I want my tax dollars to go towards this kind of good plan of all Americans. Don & I have always felt that we were so blessed to have a fantastic insurance plan (through his work) so at least we never had to have the stress of getting care for him and the thought of losing everything we worked so hard to attain. This is not to say we don’t spend ALOT of money on health care yearly. Our premiums have always been over 200 a month and we go through about 6000 a year in co pays…but it could be SOOOOOOOOOOO much worse. I just don’t get it…what is wrong with us that we don’t want people to be able to have access to health care. No it is NOT FREE, but that’s the point right? This is about people finally being able to take control and ownership for their health, before it was about insurance companies dictating who could even get health insurance. There are going to be bumps along this road but it is the right road to be on and we all need to fix what is wrong and make it work. THAT is the AMERICAN way.

Celeste Morris
    Participant

My dear Hector,

YOU ARE WRONG!!! I have PURCHASED a plan for myself and my two children through Healthcare.gov. Before “Obamacare”, more properly known as the Affordable Care Act, I was not allowed to PURCHASE my own insurance because of my melanoma diagnosis. I work for a living…always have…since the age of 13. I can pay for my own healthcare insurance and am not asking, nor luckily…in need of assistance. However, only with this Act am I, and thousands of Americans just like me, getting TO PAY…OUT OF OUR OWN POCKETS…for the insurance that we were not allowed to acquire due to pre-existing conditions before. Additionally, I don’t understand how any human on the planet can look at those in need and tell them they just don’t deserve the care that the rest of us enjoy. But…that’s another story. Before you make claims that others are paying MY BILLS through their tax dollars and handing out advice for me to get a loan….GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Celeste

Linny
    Participant

Quote:

My dear Hector,

YOU ARE WRONG!!! I have PURCHASED a plan for myself and my two children through Healthcare.gov. Before “Obamacare”, more properly known as the Affordable Care Act, I was not allowed to PURCHASE my own insurance because of my melanoma diagnosis. I work for a living…always have…since the age of 13. I can pay for my own healthcare insurance and am not asking, nor luckily…in need of assistance. However, only with this Act am I, and thousands of Americans just like me, getting TO PAY…OUT OF OUR OWN POCKETS…for the insurance that we were not allowed to acquire due to pre-existing conditions before. Additionally, I don’t understand how any human on the planet can look at those in need and tell them they just don’t deserve the care that the rest of us enjoy. But…that’s another story. Before you make claims that others are paying MY BILLS through their tax dollars and handing out advice for me to get a loan….GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Celeste

Celeste, I wouldn’t put too much credence into anything that individual posted. Look at his profile: one post and it contains a link to an external site from where you can get a loan — probably with an exorbitant interest rate. He’s most likely a spammer.

Celeste Morris
    Participant

Yeah…kind-a figured that after I posted. Oh, well…. Still true in case the weirdo ever chooses to look! c

rbruce
    Participant

Catherine, I too have to respectfully disagree with you. Although I would rather this forum was not political, you opened the door and I have to respond. As with so many feel good government programs, this act is not affordable and certainly is not about health care, but is about health insurance. With 300 million people in this country, the goal of Obamacare was to insure 30 million of the 50 million uninsured. Anyone that thinks we can add 30 million people to insurance roles and pay LESS is delusional. Obama was fine with the ACA being called Obamacare until it began disintegrating in front of our very eyes and then suddenly they called it the ACA again. Obama promised 1. Rates would be $2500 less per year for most of us. 2. We could keep our doctor if we liked him. 3. we could keep our insurance if we liked it. While adding less than 1 million people to ACA, over 5 million people have lost their insurance. Great results. A fellow warrior who lives in San Diego but has been treated at Stanford lost her private insurance which was giving her amazing care at a premium of $390 per month. Her enrollment in the ACA took 2 months and the policy she qualified for is $940 per month, her deductible went from $2500 to $7500, and the policy will not cover her Stanford doc or visits. At $940 premium and $7500 deductible she has to spend almost $20,000 before her new ACA insurance even kicks in. What is affordable about that? Lastly, it has just been reported that expensive prescription drugs are, in most ACA policies, only being covered at 50% of the cost AFTER the deductible is met. At $130,000 average cost for 4 doses of Yervoy, we would have to shell out $65,000. What is affordable about that? LASTLY, every doc I’ve spoken with, and surveys of docs nationwide, have stated that there are not enough of them to meet the demand of the ACA and they would have to “ration” their time, not to mention a general rationing of care. Doctors throughout the country are telling patients that they will NOT accept ACA insurance. What did we expect from a law that was passed on strict party lines after the Harry Ried changed the voting rules from a 2/3rds majority to a simple majority. Obama claimed from day 1 that it wasn’t a tax, but the Supreme Court upheld the law based upon it being a tax. First Obama exempts certain unions and company’s, has changed the law 3 times in the last 90 days without congress and has shown his ego is more important to him in protecting his “signature” law than the healthcare of Americans. It’s a horrible law and must be repealed before it bankrupts the country.

Celeste Morris
    Participant

Sorry, R Bruce,

I am a medical provider, married to a pediatrician and friends to many, many more doctors and providers. No. We do NOT feel about the Affordable Care Act the way you described. NOT. AT. ALL. Keeping sick uninsured people out of the emergency room will SAVE tax payer money. Providing preventative services….SAVES tax payer money. All sorts of non-profits, think tanks…medical and economic…have run the numbers….providing the uninsured with insurance…just as Medicaid and Medicare have done….will SAVE tax payer dollars. Providers and hospitals will be paid. Not that I really care about that…but when they didn’t…tax payers filled the void. More importantly…people…real live, breathing, hurting people will be helped. In the spirit of the season, that is more than enough for me. Yes, you have to pick the insurance plan carefully. Does it provide the services the individual most needs? Does it allow for care at the facility desired? Is the deductible and premium aligned with what is appropriate for the individual’s needs and budget? It’s like shopping for something nobody wants. You don’t end up with a pretty ring, sexy outfit, or shiny car. Nobody likes to do it. It’s complicated. And the only time you need it is when things are going badly. Not fun. But…if you work at it….most people…perhaps not all….can find a plan that meets their needs and is affordable for their circumstance. Far better than what the insurance companies have pushed through on the innocents in the past. Bankrupt the country????? BA HUM BUG! If you deserve care, if I deserve care…..if one life deserves care…so do they all….the Bible…and Patti…..told me so. Merry Christmas. c

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.