Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II out in sun all day, everyday

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    xena
    Participant

Hi everyone, I am three weeks out from my surgery, clean borders and scar tissue, yay . I have a problem id like advice on. I train horses for my job, I am outside everyday, all day. I have been wearing 50 spf a lot of it, and wearing long sleeves and s hat. However I am still getting a lot of sun. Not burning but I get sun. Yesterday I got red throughmy longsleeve shirt! I have calmed down considerably since my diagnoses. I want to take care but I can’t give up my passion. Anyway I would love advice on sunscreens, what stays on the longest, doesn’t sweat off, possibly something that doesn’t burn my eyes while I’m riding.

Thank you all for the great support.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Clothing with a high UPF factor sounds like your ideal choice. Sunscreen doesn’t last for long, and needs to be reapplyed every hour or so. Check out the special Rit Dye you can wash into your clothing too. Can you adjust your hours to be out early morning and late afternoon?

xena
    Participant

Thanks catherine! I wish I could unfortunately I work from dawn till dusk. I’m so happy to be so busy but of course I do not want to jeopardize my self. I’ll get the rit dye, and I have started replacing my riding shirts with long sleeves. Still feel like I need sunscreen under the shirts thou. I live in colorado so the sun is super strong. And even in the shade of a hat my face still gets sun…

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I’m a rider too and just saw a riding helmet/western type that provided head protection and shading of the face. I’ll find out more unless you’ve seen it.

HoolieB
    Participant

I’m a rider too and now wear only high-necked, long-sleeved UPF shirts when out with my boy, plus tightly-woven breeches (to tame the cellulite, TBH), gloves, and a wide-brimmed hat. When I’m wearing my helmet, I put a UPF scarf around my neck but I’m thinking of switching to a UPF balaclava-type thingee. Sure, I look goofy as heck but horses have a way of making even the most elegant of us look silly when they want to. 😆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.