Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Pathology clarification

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bon15
    Participant

My pathologist said that “it is difficult to be entirely certain whether the entire dermal component represents melanoma, although at least some of the nests of melanocytes are regarded as invasive melanoma due to their atypia”.

Does anyone know whether there is a further test he could have done to make a distinction?

As the Breslow depth has been measured to the maximum of 0.72mm (whether melanoma or not), it would be good to know the actual depth of melanoma if this is different.

cohanja
    Participant

I think there are some immunohistochemical studies that can be performed, such as HMB-45, anti-MART1, anti-Ki67, anti-PHH3, etc. . I’m not sure what all of these mean or show, but these immunostains can be performed to further characterize the lesion. You can inquire about them with a pathologist.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I don’t know of any. I do know that it sounds low risk and the depth is the most important prognostic factor.

Worrywart
    Participant

send it for another opinion to Dr Mihm. He’s up on latest and has best equipment, etc

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.