• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    coleman
    Participant

I was diagnosed with melanoma and here is my pathology report after biopsy but prior to surgery.

I was just wondering if someone could help me understanding this. Thank you.

Breslows thickness: at least 2.21mm

Clarks level: at least 4

Surgical margins: Positive. Malignant melanoma extends to the base and at least one peripheral margin of the specimen.

Ulceration: Not undefined

Tumor mitotic rate: 2 per mm2 (5 HPF)

Lymphovascular invasion:not identified

Pathologic AJCC Stage: at least T3a

There is no evidence of neutropism, regression or microscopic satellites in these sections.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Coleman, sorry to hear you are newly diagnosed. Please read all that you can to empower yourself during a very vulnerable time. First, go to: http://melanomainternational.org/melanoma-facts/pathology to understand your pathology. The depth, and mitotic factor are important. Yours is a bit risky because of the depth, but the mitotic factor means there wasn’t a lot of activity at the site of cell division. Make sure you are at a center of excellence for your surgery and that surgeon has done many SLNBs before. Second opinions on pathology can be a good idea. And finally look at our tips on the Newly Diagnosed section. All of this can be found above in the drop down boxes, including more on the SLNB and what to expect. Ask lots of questions and we are here to support you!

coleman
    Participant

I’m 43 with a wife and two kids and am still in shock right now. The tumor was behind my neck right side. It was there for quite some time because it did not even look like a mole. Even the dermatologist just thought it was basil cell prior to removing. SNLB this Thursday.Scared yes but staying positive that everything goes well.

Worrywart
    Participant

Welcome. I am sorry to read of your dx. You may want to post this in stage III board, as they are more knowledgeable on kind of treatments you will be facing. Please let us know how SNB goes. Wishing you the best.

cohanja
    Participant

Why Stage III? Has not had SNLB yet.

HeatFire
    Participant

Yea T3a is still Stage IIA..

Worrywart
    Participant

I said that bc even if only stage II they will know more about treatments that may be available – a lot more than most on this particular board do.

krissy424
    Participant

The report said : Pathologic AJCC Stage: at least T3a

I hope treatment goes well for you. I’m sure it’s a scary time for you.

We have all been there. It will get better.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The correct staging won’t be known until the sentinel node biopsy is completed with pathology report. But in the meantime, hope all goes well with this procedure and let us know if you need our support.

coleman
    Participant

Ok SLNB was done last Thursday. Got news today that they removed 6 lymph nodes and all tested negative. My doctor wont be back until Friday when I get my stitches removed. Any ideas what will follow next? They are sending me my pathology report as well. Should have that by Thursday.

cohanja
    Participant

Good news.

I always wonder the variation in # of nodes removed; I had 2 removed,you had 6 removed. . such a variation. Anyways, good news on the negative nodes.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Good news! Next I would imagine they will say to follow a path of watch closely, monitor your health and hope this is the end of it for you. Or possibly a clinical trial of which there are so few! Let us know.

coleman
    Participant

Ya know I haven’t had any blood tests or CT scan done. Don’t you think they would want to do that? Or is that part of my follow up maybe on Friday when I get my stitches removed.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

A baseline CT scan may be done. You should discuss with your doctor. Usually they will follow your nodes carefully and your general health.

coleman
    Participant

I met with an oncologist today per my request after follow up visit with my surgeon who did my SLNB. I asked for a petscan and she said usually thats not typical in my situation. They did take blood samples and if need be I could get a petscan if my insurance will cover it or if blood tests require it. Will wait and see.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.