Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV PD-L1 or PD-1 trial?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hoping4abreakthru
    Participant

My husband Jim has Stage IV melanoma with lung mets and is BRAF -ve. We are just starting to meet with doctors to investigate treatment options. Today we met with a doctor at Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) in Toronto, who told us that the standard of care for Jim would be chemo followed by ipi. Given the toxicity/relative ineffectiveness of chemo and the low-ish response rate to ipi, we are also considering clinical trials. The PMH doc suggested that Jim may want to participate in the MedImmune clinical trial that combines PD-L1 (MEDI4736) with a MEK inhibitor (trametinib). But I’ve read a lot on-line about PD-1 medications, and there seems to be more evidence out there to support them. My question is whether it makes more sense to try to get Jim into a PD-1 trial or take the spot in the PD-L1 trial. We have another consult at Sunnybrook in Toronto next week to discuss potential clinical trials… so any input is appreciated. Thanks, Cindy

goldfidler
    Participant

Hi Cindy,

Sorry to hear about your husband. I am going through the same right now. Just restaged to Stage IV with positive lung nodules and BRAF negative. Meeting with my oncologist on Monday, Oct 20th to discuss options: IL2, IPI (Yervoy), and MEDI4736 (PDL1) trial. I also plan to discuss the IPI/PDI trials and Keytruda (PD1).

I will post an update next week. My thoughts are with you.

Matt

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Cindy,

As you realize, chemo is not effective for melanoma. The PDL trial is really promising, our board feels as promising as the PD1. I hope this is helpful to you.

odonoghue80
    Participant

Do the trials for PDL1 only work in combination with PD1? Or are there trials of PDL1 on its own?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I found this one to be listed as a sole agent: NCT01375842 (Genentech) the Medimmune one I could not find listed. Otherwise on http://www.clinicaltrials.gov, I’m seeing it combined with different agents such as zelboraf. Tried to copy and paste but wouldn’t work..

goldfidler
    Participant

here is a link to the information I was given, for what it is worth.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT02027961

NCT02027961

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

thanks so much for posting, that will be very helpful to others I am sure! We are fortunate to have to PDL therapies out there and I hope we get results soon.

goldfidler
    Participant

Hi Cindi,

Just letting you know that I will be starting the MEDI4736 trial on 11/3. I posted a lot of info about my decision process in another thread. I plan to post my progress as best I can.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision process. We are here to support you.

Best Regards,

Matt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.