Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Photo toxicity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cecelia
    Participant

Margaret’s dermatologist has suggested that zelboraf actually causes photo toxicity rather than sensitivity, the difference being a cumulative effect to sun exposure. Have other people on zelboraf found that the effect builds up? How much time are you actually spending in the sun, even with sunscreen and clothing? Our derm seemed to think it was not necessary to absolutely avoid the sun. We are walking just after dusk and avoiding the day, but wondering if this is necessary? How about cars?

jmmm
    Participant

I’m not really sure, but my husband has been in Zelboraf for 10 months. He stays out of the sun during the middle of the day (most of the time). He always has lip balm, sunscreen and a hat on, and tries to stay in the shade whenever possible (even in morning and evening hours). Actually, he doesn’t seem quite as sensitive anymore….it seems like he can be outside a little more than he had in the past. We spent 4 hours at the Zoo yesterday (it was cloudy and misty, but he tolerated being outside just fine and a few months ago, he would have been fried). He wears shorts and t-shirts all the time…no long sleeves. He does get burnt in the car…he has to use sunscreen and we bought one of those baby sun shades to block the sun while in the car and it seems to help. That probably doesn’t really answer your question, but that’s his experience….it kind of correlates with others suggestions that the side effects lessen over time.

Cecelia
    Participant

Thanks Jmmm. It’s good to know that it is possible to do outdoors things, and that the effect diminishes with time rather than being a progressive, cumulative effect. Since it is a long-term drug, that’s very good news. There is so little experience with it here in Canada that I am often quoting this forum to inform our docs of actual experience on the drug.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.