Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II pigment regrowth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

In May, 2012, I had a biopsy (one of many since melanoma) that was “Compound Clark’s nevus”. no evidence of malignancy. . melanocytes extended to the margins. . now I’ve noticed there is some pigment back in the center. If it was benign to begin with, is there reason to have it excised again/re-excised?

wpatterson4
    Participant

What I’ve read and been told by my dermatologist is that regrowth of pigment cells after an incomplete shave is natural and benign but that it will appear abnormal to a pathologist. They call it “pseudomelanoma.”

cohanja
    Participant

so how does the pathologist make sure what it really is or isn’t?

YankeesGirl
    Participant

Hi Cohanja,

I had a wide local excision performed on my arm last March 2012 to remove a melanoma in-situ. Two weeks ago, my dermatologist saw some pigmentation on the scar line that she did not like (she was not the derm who performed the original WLE. I am no longer seeing that derm because his communication skills were less than satisfying). Anyway, the results came back as “melanocytic hyperplasia and hyperpigmenation”. Also, the path report stated ‘Melan-A and MITF positive dermal cells”. Interesting note per the path report is that these dermal cells with Melan A and MITF were not there before or after the WLE. No mitoses are seen. My derm is sending the slide out for a second opinion; due diligence, which I have come to expect from all of my healthcare providers. I will let you know what the second opinion says when I receive the info. Hang in there and stay positive. Believe me, 2012 was a tough year for me and I am still having my challenges this year thus far….two more biopsies performed yesterday.

(2) in-situ and (1) stage 1B all in 2012 – Female age 40

cohanja
    Participant

does it help to give the pathologist a heads-up so they know it’s a re-excision from a scar, so they don’t come back with “pseudomelanoma” diagnosis?

wpatterson4
    Participant

Cohanja,

According to that last bastion of factual information, Wikipedia (because I’m too lazy to just click on the referenced article), the original path report should be sufficient to alert a pathologist that a recurrent nevus is not melanoma or a severely atypical mole. I have one of those, too, but the pigment only came back in two small spots.

BigRed1984
    Participant

pigment regrowth is weird but I think its pretty normal. I had a bad deem who froze off 5-6 of my weirder moles because she felt it would look better than excision and I was young so not at high risk. HA! I was diagnosed with melanoma 6 months later. Much to my horror several of the moles regimented somewhat and look funky. My stanford derm is not concerned as they are stable. However, the derm who diagnosed my melanoma biopsied one of them and It came back as benign compound nevus. I am sure it is most likely fine. But I hear ya. I worry over the slightest things.

cohanja
    Participant

i just had it re-excised this morning – will get the pathology back in few days. . .assuming it’s still benign as it was to begin with

Mike19342
    Participant

I had a similar experience. Had one removed and it grew back. Have had it looked at a few times and will have it looked at again Monday when I do my regular appt. Dr. said sometimes they do that but has not been worried about it.

Eos99
    Participant

Last week I noticed dark pigment regrowth where a recent deep shave on my upper back had been done. Neither the Doc nor I were particularly worried about it (because the original pathology had been good with clear margins). However, she opted to re-do it. As expected, it was benign. :)

The same day we did biopsy another mole on my back about a centimeter away (that I believed had evolved) and that bad boy came back severely dsyplastic. So, as one would imagine, the dermapathologist and dermatologist have recommended re-excision.

cohanja
    Participant

was benign

goldengirl2011
    Participant

That is great news! Enjoy your weekend!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.